Info on Cheltenham please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

My Mum is over 70 but still works full time in a high pressure job and does one Saturday a fortnight in a charity shop, she is not scared of moving as she did so just 3 years ago when her job relocated from Hampshire to Devon. I think she would beat me to death if I suggested retirement properties, none of her friends are pensioners she still out runs both children.

When I say limited budget it is more for day to day living than the property. She would love to be in the thick of things and has unaccountably taken against Gloucester so would take some persuading where should I take her and are the prices considerably different?

Thank you EmeraldE for your flattery, you have seen me in the flesh. If she wasn't over 55 she would have had to have been 10 or under when she had me!!!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

hi Slackmum

Prices are considerably different and you do not get much for your money in Cheltenham.

That said, people with properties having more than one bedroom can rent them out during race week (the gee gee's). I know a few folks who do this and can make £400 a week and upwards just for the room and a slice of toast! :0)

I am not terribly familiar with where is nice in Cheltenham so can't really help you much. I would not mind living in Bishops Cleeve or Prestbury.

This link gives you a little run down of the areas in Cheltenham.
http://www.cheltenham4u.co.uk/areas.asp

My best advice would be to drive round and see what's available where. Maybe someone who lives there could help you more.
Good Luck!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

fairview's good - used to live in the loveliest road there. 200' garden but a 10 minute walk to M&S. Hard to say on an open forum where to avoid etc since someone will be offended, but "nice" areas include Leckhampton, Pittville, Charlton Kings, Tivoli, Montpelier. But you pays.
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Would agree with Fairview sort of area. Anywhere around the Hewlett/Hales Road/London Road area is great for access to town, but also reasonable size houses and gardens. There's a lot of residents parking there, although whether that is an advantage or not, I'm not sure...
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

I've only lived in Cheltenham for about 14 years, so a bit of a newbie myself.

Probably very likely to be attacked for any comments on specific areas, but in the name of being helpful, some suggestions.

The Bath Road area has its own culture with good, local shops and is near to "The Suffolks", which has a street parade in the summer. It is within 20 mins walk or less of main town.

Avoid anywhere near popular schools as price is artifically high e.g. avoid Bournside and Balcarras, Christchurch, Leckhampton, St. James; all three in Hatherley-ish area i.e. Lakeside, Greatfield, Warden Hill. These last three are in a much sought after area although it is mostly "young" families who move there. The houses are very similar so easy to get confused as to where you are.

The Park is very expensive but most houses are massive anyway. Our house is old and therefore cold. A lot of houses in Chelt are, so l would suggest buying something small, well insulated and easy to heat.

Pittville is very mixed depending which exact area you are looking at.

Many large cycling groups exist, and l believe there are walking groups also.

The only way into certain areas is if you conform to Church of England, and regularly attend local Church; beware if your Mum is independent-minded or has her own ideas! Most people seem to keep their houses like show rooms which is a bit Stepford Wives like.

The area around Pate's is not sought after (though l will be chastised for suggesting this) unless you have lived there all your life: the local shops on Coronation Square are closing down with great speed.

Libertus Road is busy and costly. What about St. Marks? Relatively near to Pate's for helpful pick-up. Or Benhall?

Avoid Whaddon if that is not your thing; it is also further from town centre and Pate's.

P.M. me if l can help or when DDs go back to school come and visit and l could show you or your Mum around the areas, although l do still feel new myself.

Charlton Kings is expensive owing to the schools and a good 15 mins drive to the centre of Chelt.

Good Luck!
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Thanks everybody for all the help especially Perplexed 2009 for your kind offer to show us around, I may well take you up on it.

We did visit Cheltenham recently but got horribly lost which probably put us all off a bit it all looked so beautiful on the website. So I would love to go with someone who can direct us. We wanted to look around Montpelier as there seem to be some beautiful flats there, but we managed to miss it entirely.

I am still uncertain that Cheltenham would suit her, she is fiercely independent in both thought and deed.

The previous idea was Nailsworth which is only 10 minutes from us and so would probably actually be more useful for other DS and various animals, and would mean I could keep an eye on her in the future.

I think the plan changed for everyone when the snows came and I couldn't get out of the village and we all paniced about how DS1 would get home. Do they call the buses in early?
Milla

Post by Milla »

Nailsworth is great and all that area, Slad and so on.
In laws of in-laws bought our Chelt house - they had lived in the same house in the depths of the country (in another county altogether) for about 40 years before moving into "town" and it was the best move they made. Proximity to Chelt has kept them young, not reliant on car.
There's also Prestbury.
You can always PM people like me and Perplexed with links to specific places (someone else on this site who has recently moved here did that...)and we can bestow our great advice in a more targetted fashion!
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Warden Hill wouldn't recommend that unless its changed recently there was no interest in Grammar schools from Mr Jones!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think the plan changed for everyone when the snows came and I couldn't get out of the village and we all paniced about how DS1 would get home. Do they call the buses in early?
We were away for most of the snow days. However when I went to school the buses would always come early to pick up those living in areas that were getting snowed in. Do your children use public transport or private coach companies? The company my son travels with didn't run during some of the snow days so we just kept him home.

Milla -
The rough bits of Chelt are rougher and the smart bits smarter than Glos so do do your homework!
Our neighbour is a JP and he says that Cheltenham as far more problems re- social crime than Gloucester.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now