Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: If I don't reply...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:26 pm 

Hi, Chaps,

people occasionally PM me here especially at this time of year about appeals.

If I don't reply in the next week or so, there's a good reason behind it - I'm off to France as the co-driver for a friend whose twin daughters are stuck with grandparents in Nice and really should be back at school. Her husband is a little tied up at the moment (for another three weeks or so), so can't drive with her. She put out an SOS as it's a long way for one person to drive, so muggins though I'd offer.

Stopping off for a night in Champagne and a day to recover in Nice make it just about OK :-)

Hope the weather is nice. Back Friday evening, followed by an early start on Saturday (to drive the children to Lancaster for a load of concerts & workshops that they're teaching).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:58 pm 

Good luck Capers!!

Have heard about several sets of aprents making marathon car trips across Europe to collect kids - seems to be the only way with the trains on strike too. Hope it goes well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm 

Hope you have a good trip don't envy you that distance. The ferry we returned in on Sunday was incredibly busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm 

It wasn't bad. I've seen bits of France I've never seen before, drunk champagne in Champagne that had a crown cap (beer bottle type) instead of a cork, yet was the best I've ever tasted (home made in small farmhouse, untaxed). Great food even for a veggie like me. I paddled in the Med. And drove 1,000 miles, arriving home tonight. Increased my very limited French and Spanish comprehension & vocab (the girls were practicing the latter in the car on the way home 'tranquillo, tranquillo).

Tomorrow I drive my family to Lancaster - such a short local trip. Back sometime Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 pm 

I can only assume the Lancaster trip paled by comparison. We will be driving down through France in August and that Champagne sounds tres interesting.

No matter how much time I spend in the country my French still doesn't get any better :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 am 

Lancaster was OK. The children were only performing (and teaching workshops to adults) on the Saturday, so Sunday morning, 'on the way' home, I took them to Barbondale and Dent then over to Ingleton. Not quite as spectacular as the pre-alps, but still pretty good, to the point where the children both requested a holiday there. Luckily, we have friends who live in Dent, who also happen to have a holiday cottage there that was available in August...