Newbies-taking the 11+this oct?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muminTewkes

Newbies-taking the 11+this oct?

Post by muminTewkes »

Ok well,Ive been popping in here for a few months now and have got some GREAT advice(thanks!)and picked up fantastic tips along the way...everything seems to be on track for ds..well as on track as it can be!..I think...
We've seen Tommy's-fell in love... :D went to see Pate's yesterday and against all i "thought"Id feel-fell in love again!!!!
Im afraid I did have a preconceived idea that it was a bit of a "hot house"and wasn't sure we, as a family,and especially our sporty-very bright but not "weird bright"(as he calls it!)ds would fit in-I'm thinking now I was wrong....obviously assuming he a)passes the 11+ and b)gets offered a place at either!..just small matters.. :wink:
So,there are many older members here,but are there any that are in the same position as me now?what did you think of both schools?
Just thought it would be nice to get older members views that have been offered places or those who have already got dc's in either school?(ds's in strs obv!)...I was not into the whole same sex thing initially-but have to admit,Tommy's changed that-ds is already a bit of a flirt now!!eek!..
Be lovely so hear from others leading up to D-day in October too... :D
tigger

Re: Newbies-taking the 11+this oct?

Post by tigger »

We will be taking 11+ this October and next. All of us were very impressed with Pates yesterday - it ticks all the boxes for us. Just one small hurdle to go - the test! Did you hear Mr Fenton say that the test will 'probably' stay the same for this year and next? Let's hope they confirm what format the test will take for October 2011 quite soon.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Hi guys,im also new to this.We have taken our son to view Marling and Pates so far,we both loved Marling,he was overjoyed at Pates,particularly the climbing wall,but I was distinctly underwhelmed by the experience,however it is not me who has to go.We are hoping to visit the other 2 gs soon.
My son is horrified at the thought of having to go to our local school with children that have bullied him in the past as he feels that he wont be able to learn as he would wish,he is now so stressed by the whole 11+thing and saying that he is too stupid :?and will have to go to the local comp that I have threatened to pull him out of the tests altogether(he got 10 wrong in the 1st practice sheet we have done today which he completed in the time). How can I get him to stop worrying as this only makes the test harder?We want to support him and are trying to make him understand that we will love him regardless of how he does without making him feel a failure if he doesnt get a place or knocking his confidence before the test. I just want him to be the best that he can be and happy,watching him get so stressed at his age(9) just seems wrong. His preperation is going really well I just cant get him to see this.What can we do to help?
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Tigger-Its a lil late in the day for the test format to change isnt it?I hope!!!!! :shock:

Turtleglos-I know its very hard to get the balance right between setting themselves up for a fall,thinking they are the bees knees,when,quite clearly,the competition is sooooooo strong to them thinking they are'nt good enough :( ...especially,if,like me,you dont have the first clue-or know anyone who has/is doing the same.
Your son sounds like hes doing fine to me-my ds was getting @ 10 wrong @ a mth ago too..what papers are you using?we are doing Bright Sparks atm...have done the NFER ones too.
He has just (this past 3 weeks)started with a tutor in a group(as Ive just had another baby so not as much time to spend with him!)TBH..its been the best thing for hi-not in the sense of "teaching"him anything he hadnt already grasped,but that he can measure HIMSELF(very into that,my son)and it has made him happier...knowing where he stands.Also we are obviously benefiting from this guys experience about the whole system and where ds should (hopefully!)be.
Tutoring isnt necessary as ive found, even though i didnt have the first clue months ago,we've been muddling along fine-and seems ds has been "taught" well :wink: !!!but its helped us all,if only for the above.
Gosh this is a whole rollercoaster!who knew last year(when I had NO thoughts of it)that we'd be looking round schools and talking scores with figures im not even sure i know how to interpret!lol!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

muminTewkes wrote:Tigger-Its a lil late in the day for the test format to change isnt it?I hope!!!!! :shock:
If they planned to change the test format this year, then why have the schools been advising parents to buy the usual practice paper pack?
Capers
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

capers123 wrote:
muminTewkes wrote:Tigger-Its a lil late in the day for the test format to change isnt it?I hope!!!!! :shock:
If they planned to change the test format this year, then why have the schools been advising parents to buy the usual practice paper pack?

well,yeah..thats what i was thinking!!!but then my "thinking"has never been my strong point.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

My son has arrived home from school today full of confidence asking if he could take another test. It would appear that the blip is over for now......
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Mr Fenton (Pate's) has confirmed in a school news letter that admissions will be run exactly as they are now. He was responding to queries over their application for academy status but I'm hoping it remains as is for test sitting Oct 2011 too as DD2 will be sitting it then.

Mumintewks - I too went into Pate's with a preconceived idea of 'hot house', and really only looking around as DH went there and was keen for DD1 to follow - came out loving it (and hating myself for being two-faced :oops: ). She was successful and is heading there in Sept (I'd settled for Denmark Rd in my head, not doubting her ability but just knowing that the competition for so few places is so ridiculously high each year). I have to say that so far it's been a fantastically positive experience - DD feels part of the school family already, with all the little details they've thought of. Fingers crossed it continues for the next 7 years.

As mentioned, we're about to embark on round 2 with DD2 - different personality, different interests = different school???? Am wondering if girls' school might suit her better. It does become such a can of worms once you've thought outside the 'going to local comp' box! :roll:
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Glparent wrote:Mr Fenton (Pate's) has confirmed in a school news letter that admissions will be run exactly as they are now. He was responding to queries over their application for academy status but I'm hoping it remains as is for test sitting Oct 2011 too as DD2 will be sitting it then.

Mumintewks - I too went into Pate's with a preconceived idea of 'hot house', and really only looking around as DH went there and was keen for DD1 to follow - came out loving it (and hating myself for being two-faced :oops: ). She was successful and is heading there in Sept (I'd settled for Denmark Rd in my head, not doubting her ability but just knowing that the competition for so few places is so ridiculously high each year). I have to say that so far it's been a fantastically positive experience - DD feels part of the school family already, with all the little details they've thought of. Fingers crossed it continues for the next 7 years.

As mentioned, we're about to embark on round 2 with DD2 - different personality, different interests = different school???? Am wondering if girls' school might suit her better. It does become such a can of worms once you've thought outside the 'going to local comp' box! :roll:
Thanks!yes,i felt a bit like that about Pate's too-slapped wrist!!and i will be MORE than happy with a place at STRS :D ...again,same as you(only i reckon i did underestimate ds a little!)the competition is soooo tough.
We have another THREE ds's to do this with..should they wish/are able.. :shock: .yep-looking outside the box aint always the easy option! :wink:
Lovely to hear your positive spin on Pate's-hope your DD has a b;ast there :)
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

I would second what Glparent has to say. We were aiming for Marling (which if I am honest I did not particularly rate but it is my local GS) but against all the odds got Pate's.

DS1 did not even have the opportunity to see the school until he qualified and we left the decision with him which he wanted and he choose Pate's without any hesitation. Every little detail of the induction process is so beautifully worked out and they make you and your children feel very welcome, I have throughly enjoyed the whole process.

My DS is also very sporty and very much a boys boy who has little contact with girls but I believe their civilising influence will prove invaluable in the future :lol:

The key thing is to tick for your results to be shared with all the schools and then you can decide which to accept once you know which you have qualified for, if you do not tick it you definately cannot have it. Good luck and try to enjoy the ride.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now