To put my mind at rest...form filling...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muminTewkes

To put my mind at rest...form filling...

Post by muminTewkes »

OK Im SURE Ive been over this a thousand times but Im going to ask,once more for clarification!
I have the form to register for the test...(eek its really real now!)
On this form I put where we want ds to sit the test and who the results are shared with...(all of them)
The place he sits the test is SUPPOSED to be his first choice of school on the CAF form(that we fill in after we get the results of the 11+)but does it HAVE to be?
Im thinking that ds wants to sit at Tommys,we all loved the school anyway but he thinks as there will be less boys there than Pates for example maybe he wont get so nervous?better mindset etc,or are we totally over thinking the whole thing?Think thats a possibility at this stage lol!
Pates will *probably* be our first choice on the CAF though but we will have a better idea after the results I guess..
Then the form goes back to Shire Hall(IF we put STRS)and Pates itself (if we put Pates)by 1/10 with a SAE.
When we get the results we fill in the CAF with a reasonable idea of where ds *may*get offered a place..so if he's done fantabulously well(ever the optimist me :wink: )then we put(for example,for our purposes)Pates,Tommys,Crypt,Local comp...then in March IF he doesnt qualify for Pates but does for Tommys..we'll get an offer from Tommys..right?It just works down the list...
ok thats it-I know all this info is out there but my mind is a bit frazed so in plain English can someone tell me if all this is right?pleeeeeease!
Thankyou guys!
Milla

Re: To put my mind at rest...form filling...

Post by Milla »

can't help with the dates but, whatever "they" say it doesn't matter where he sits the test.
DS1 (who got into Tommy's) sat it at Pate's since Pate's is nearer to us.
DS2 sat it at Tommy's (since by then it was more familiar to us and EE and Tolstoy and I had arranged to meet up on the day), and got into Pate's.
Far more children sit it at Pate's so the place is heaving whereas it seemed more civilised at Tommy's when we did it. People whisk your child away on arrival so there's no hideous hanging around for you - apart from the anguish of, "now he'll be ..." etc
As for the CAF - fill it in on line - not only do you get immediate confirmation of this but it stops the agony of "has my form got through or been stolen / lost / laughed at by postie?" furthermore, you can get the allocation day results (the March day, not the results day in Oct) the night before rather than for waiting for aforesaid chuckling / larcenous postie strolling at an annoyingly slow stroll rate.
As for the order, the results will let you know if you are eligible to apply for Pate's which you can only do if you are in top 120 (for a certain place) or 120-160 (the waiting list). Then ensure you are putting the schools below in the order you actually want them!
Don't worry, we all worry about all this but somehow it seems to happen.
(edited to slaughter baby)
Last edited by Milla on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Thankyou Milla..
Good tip to do it online :D and yes i do have nightmares the postie may eat it/lose it or any number of other hideous scenarios!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

muminTewkes wrote:The place he sits the test is SUPPOSED to be his first choice of school on the CAF form(that we fill in after we get the results of the 11+)but does it HAVE to be?
No, it doesn't HAVE to be - it makes no difference where you sit the test, as the raw results will be forwarded to the other schools you have ticked and then included with all the other results of children who ticked for that school, then have the standardisation applied for that schools cohort. The only difference is that if one school makes the test experience better than another, the child may get one or two more (raw) marks from being more relaxed. Though having a child sobbing their heart out sat in the same room will be off-putting wherever they sit the exam. :shock:
When we get the results we fill in the CAF with a reasonable idea of where ds *may*get offered a place..so if he's done fantabulously well(ever the optimist me :wink: )then we put(for example,for our purposes)Pates,Tommys,Crypt,Local comp...then in March IF he doesnt qualify for Pates but does for Tommys..we'll get an offer from Tommys..right?It just works down the list...

Yep, spot on.

My usual comment is coming forth now. (ahem, cough, clear throat).
Please make sure you use all of the options on the CAF form.
You'd be surprised how many people don't, and end up stunned when they get offered a school half way across the county because they only put one choice (often assuming that Shire Hall will HAVE to allocate them that one if they only put one). Then end up appealing.

We're still hearing late appeals for this years admissions - yep, children who should be starting today or tomorrow, both primary & secondary. Sometimes the parents suddenly realise that all the other parents near them are busy buying new school uniforms, yet they've not yet accepted a place! There will be appeals heard over the next few weeks. Expect the usual stories in the local press "Glos CC have't given my child a school place", which is more often than not not quite true.

Of course, there are also people who have moved into the area at short notice since July who will be appealing (and do so throughout the year).

Anyway, we filled in one of the forms for DD2 to take the test when we went on a visit last term.

I'd like to take the opportunity to wish my cousins (who is possibly still on here) daughter and all the other Y7's a fun time over the next few days.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now