Learning Lab Series-How difficult are these papers??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cat90

Learning Lab Series-How difficult are these papers??

Post by Cat90 »

Hi, I hope you are all enjoying the summer holidays unlike me. I would like your feedback on the following point please, if the child is getting very good marks with Learning Lab series, is it safe to say that they are well prepared? In your opinion, how would you rate the paper? from easy to very difficult.

It's my first time trying to help my DS with the preparation and purchased various papers from IPS to Walsh 1,2, 3, The tutors Level 4, GL, Susan J Daughytrey pack 1 and 2. Learning Together.

Are there papers worth doing that I haven't mention above?

Thank you for your help!

Cat90
EmeraldE

Re: Learning Lab Series-How difficult are these papers??

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi Cat90
My DS has done the long papers from Learning Labs and found the maths and codes fine. He struggled at times on the English but then that would be his weakest area (word knowledge). I think that they are of good quality and I would rate them quite hard in places possibily between Daughtry (Bright Sparks) and Walsh. My DS is getting between 80-90% on most papers with maybe one paper slightly over the 90%.

We have not done Learning Together so I cannot comment. Walsh is deemed the hardest of the shop bought papers with Bright Sparks behind that. The Tutors L4 is ok, maths and codes wise, but hellish on the English. I have to confess there have been times I had to look words up myself (and I am guessing I am not alone here! :) ) I am using them just as additional practice and not stressing if DS2 looks baffled. DS1 also did these papers and was hitting 17-18/20, which is considered very good. So if your DS is scoring well in most tests he is getting a good prep :)
Milla

Post by Milla »

As far as I can remember there are 2 standards - the red and the green. I can't remember which is which now since it is a whole year ago (hoorah!) but the easier one is undemanding but I would take heart if your child is doing well in the harder one (the red one, I think).
Cat90

Post by Cat90 »

Hi, Thank you for your feedbacks. He's doing well with the learning Lab series (red colour). I've given him Walsh 3 and he got baffled and he questioned his own abilities. The lesson we learned by doing Walsh 3 is to stay calm if on the day of the test they are given a paper as hard as Walsh.

Regards
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

yes...it is good to have a wobble before the test so you are there to talk them through what to do, reassure, calm, mother..and give lots of reassurance :D . My DS1 sat last year and he said it was not as hard as Walsh.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I remember ours both appalling us, EE, saying that both tests had been "easy" ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now