Any figures?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
malvern

Any figures?

Post by malvern »

Just wondering if anyone had any ball park figures re spaces and candidates. My brief on the back of an envelope calculation has circa 750 places for 2000 candidates in previous years - is this way off?
cairo

Re: Any figures?

Post by cairo »

When I tried to calculate this last year, I worked out that there were a little over 800 places at the 7 GSs in Gloucestershire.

Trying to establish how many children actually sit the exam is harder due to the double counting given that many will be registered for consideration at 2, 3 or even 4 schools. Like you, I think the figure is probably usually around 2000 children in all. If it helps, I know that last year there were around 560 boys who asked to be considered for STRS.

There may be fewer applicants this year given that it is a lower birth rate year. Or it may be higher if more out-of-county people apply, or if the credit crunch means more children in the private sector apply. Who knows...!
cheltgirl

Re: Any figures?

Post by cheltgirl »

The numbers are now high as most parents enter their children because they now have nothing to lose since the end of the first preference first system for allocating places.

The birth rate might be lower, but the figures this year will be distorted by the arrival of Nato families at Innsworth.

More and more parents I speak to tick the box for almost every school so they can get more info about the results so they can try to work out whether they stand a chance of getting into their favoured school. If the schools gave better information people would not have to adopt this approach.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now