high school for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chatternatter

high school for girls

Post by chatternatter »

Did anyone else that went to last nights open evening have any information that they would like to share, i switched half way through the head teachers speech and couldnt re- focus, i thought the school was slightly staged and not in its natural light, this said however is my daughters favourite choice, she said she liked the enviroment. I have woken with a stinking cold this morning so maybe my lack of enthusiasm was due to notfeeling on top form, i just didnt get the feeling that i did when i visited ribston hall, this however is my daughters least favourite. There were an awful lot of private school children viewing the school, i wonder if this is a sign of things to come and the grammar places are going to be fought over very competitivly.

If anyone has any comments on the high school i would love to hear them

Many thanks x :P
malvern

Re: high school for girls

Post by malvern »

I quite agree the talk by the Headmistress was full of info but short of inspiration. However, walking around it seemed the girls were having a ball, they all seemed to be loving their time there and being with their friends.

The science labs were good allowing my DD to carry out a couple of experiments but I was a bit disappointed with the art rooms, again atmosphere of look don't touch and what was laid out was quite basic stuff - all variations on a theme without having someone soar into the skies.

However, what remains with me and DD was the sheer fun the girls were having and how much they seemed to have ownership of the school - I liked that.
glosguy

Post by glosguy »

Our DD enjoyed the HSFG open day. Although the headteachers speech was lengthy we did feel it provided good information especially about the test etc. We opted for a girl to give us a tour of the school and within 5 mins she had dissapeard! :lol:

Def gets a thumbs up from us.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I can vouch that although the art rooms do not look that flashy, if your DD has a talent for art it will be nurtured and the gsce and A level art work is a high standard. There are gifted and talented art workshops and clubs which even year 7s will be invited to if they show potential. I had the same doubts about the art side of things as you when I looked around but my DD is in y9 now and I have been happy with the art. My only criticism is since the introduction of new timetable there seems to be less art time. The girls can go and work on their textiles etc at lunchtimes if they want.
alisonc

Post by alisonc »

My daughter is in Yr 8. I am very happy with her progress at the school. The question on competition for places re private students, I only know of 1 girl in her tutor group that came from a private school. There are lots of extra curricular activities that happen at the school, and my DD loves the school discos that occur about 3 times a year with the Tommies boys. My DD loves going to school and has a wide circle of friends. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now