Anybody from Bristol

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EmeraldE

Re: Anybody from Bristol

Post by EmeraldE »

I too would wager a caution on a long commute. DS (year 7 Pates) has come home exhausted and close to tears on several occasions since starting. There have been busy stressful days and with house music (all to participate) in full throttle adding late nights, 4 out of 7, he has been exhausted. We live close to the school, within an easy commute, and it is still tiring. Your kids would potentially miss out on so much of the 'extra' things at Pates, the fun elements if you like, if they needed to shoot off for a bus/train. I would recommend a house move. Cheltenham is not cheap, Gloucester is more sensibly priced. You could always offset the cost of the train against your mortgage :)
glosguy

Post by glosguy »

I would never consider putting my child on a train everyday then a 30 min walk to school. I would rather move than do that. :(
moved

Post by moved »

I was interested in what Milla had said about BGS and found that both Bristol Cathedral School and Colston's Girls' School are now non-fee paying and assess pupils through NVR and also for mfl. Edited to add and choir of course.
Milla

Post by Milla »

aha! partially vindicated! Wrong schools, but knew that one (or 2!) had changed from "my day." Thanks, moved.
bristolmom

Post by bristolmom »

Thrilled with the results this morning.

DS has got in the top 120 at Pates.

New worries - Relocation ? Commute ?

Well done to all DCs and their parents.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Well done Bristolmom. Did he manage that after an ordinary Bristol primary? Do tell as we have the same dilemma in preparing for the exam.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

bristolmom wrote:New worries - Relocation ? Commute ?
Some friends had the same dilemma - they were living in Oxfordshire but DD1 got a place at a Stratford grammar (as did DD2 later). They moved closer, so DD1 could be close to new school & friends.

Pates does have quite a wide catchment, but even so, Bristol is a hike and a half (and quite a walk from the station at Cheltenham end).

I'd consider moving to somewhere at least on a bus or school bus route to Pates. A lot of eople from round here do commute to Bristol, but it's easier for adults!
Capers
bristolmom

Post by bristolmom »

Relocation is indeed an option , we are seriously considering. :)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

bristolmom wrote:Relocation is indeed an option , we are seriously considering. :)
If you can afford it, there are nice (very nice) houses in the Minchinhampton Common area of Stroud District, with a Pates bus running at sensible times with some Y6 children joining next year. Straightforward routes to Bath, Bristol, Swindon by car and wonderful countryside. Handy for 'alternative' Stroud & 'county' Cirencester, both with branches of Waitrose (but oddly, only Cirencester has a Lidl - possibly to live there that's they only shopping you can afford ;-) )
Capers
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

Capers do you have the details of the bus that goes from Minchinhampton. I've found one from Whitminster but no mention of Minch