How is test score calculated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cheltgirl

How is test score calculated

Post by cheltgirl »

Given that the example test papers each have 85 questions and one mark is awarded for each correct answer, do the actual tests have the same number of questions per paper. If so, how do they calculate 210 as the pass mark?
I am sure there is an explanation, but we have never discovered it.

Do older children face a deduction cf later births for all schools?
sherry_d

Re: How is test score calculated

Post by sherry_d »

Impossible is Nothing.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Yep its standardisation!
Ive read those threads over and over in the last few weeks-still haven't a clue!I'm just putting my faith in the system(like There's anything else you can do?!)and hoping it all evens out...my dc is a November birth,so I'm guessing he will have a few marks "taken off"as such...all very weird :?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

A % score tells you how well your child did in a test, a standardised score tells you how well your child did compared with other children. The standardised score does not tell you anything about how many questions you answered correctly on a test. Therefore you can't directly compare a standardised score with a percentage score. For example in a very hard exam the top score could be 57% which could equate to a standardised score of 140. An easier exam 98% is top score and could equate to 140.

Marks are not technically added or taken away from children. They are being compared with children who are the same age (usually in years and months). So generally they need to score well against other children who are the same age.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Thanks!for once that made sense.....Im sure we've all tried(and failed?)to work out how this standardisation thingie applies to our lo's.*sigh*...another part of this beast that is 11+!)Im starting to regret ever presenting the idea to ds....for MY sake,not his! :wink: )
Milla

Post by Milla »

muminTewkes wrote:Im sure we've all tried(and failed?)to work out how this standardisation thingie applies
I'm genetically incapable of understanding it, but Mitasol has brought me fractions of centimetres nearer. thank you!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

mitasol wrote:A % score tells you how well your child did in a test, a standardised score tells you how well your child did compared with other children...
Nicely explained.
Capers
cheltgirl

Post by cheltgirl »

capers123 wrote:
mitasol wrote:A % score tells you how well your child did in a test, a standardised score tells you how well your child did compared with other children...
Thanks for the replies. The one above is the best stab I have seen at explaning this crazy system.
1203tommy

Post by 1203tommy »

that explanation was very helpful, but still confused on the age thing, my daughter is august birth, how will that help her? she's making 95-100% on most practice paper. She has her heart set on Pates, but i feel like it's playing the lotery getting in there! :? :?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Strictly speaking being born in August wont help her. Her score will be standardised with other August children. Historically the younger children score lower so a lower percentage score will normally give them a higher standardised score than say a September child.

Personally I do wonder how much tutoring affects the fairness of it all but Capers will tell me off if I get too critical of the standardisation process :wink:

Her scores sound good and make her a strong contender so all you can really do is wait. Not long now though so good luck.