new format for answer sheet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum23*

new format for answer sheet

Post by mum23* »

Well done all for getting that over with! Word from my friends DSs is much the same as others have said - first paper ok second harder, they both finished with some time to check but might have guessed some possibly. Didn't say there was any that they hadn't done before though. Feedback was that one paper (first?) had different answer format than we had done before. ....A B C D X Y Z ????Could anyone give me any info on the new format for the answers - was it letters to choose rather than the actual answers or something like that? Are there any practice papers with this way of doing it? As I haven't got my own DCs to grill this year I am limited to amount of Qs I can ask but will be going through this with my own next year so I would appreciate any advice. I have lots of different papers that I have used with my DDs but that was last year and 3 years ago. I have always gone with NFER (giraffe) is closest to real papers, would that be right or am I mistaken? I have never tried Tutors that have been posted about, are they more like the level of the real thing then?

Someone mentioned previously that this new format was expected, I just wondered where that came from and why they have changed it? Do you think the papers will be significantly different next year for Tommies? Also have any of you ever seen actual papers that have been used by the Gloucs grammars? sorry loads of Qs you have probably all had enough of 11+ !!!
Hope you all get good news in a weeks time. From reading the posts it sounds like all your DCs worked really hard. :D
muminTewkes

Re: new format for answer sheet

Post by muminTewkes »

I asked(ok..quizzed-AGAIN!!)my ds this am(sat at Tommys)and he confirmed that the first (?)was a,cb,c answers,but we ,apparently,(blowed if I can remember!)have done some like that before so he was fine with it.
The first he said was very like the Giraffe ones(NFER?)that we did first off all those mths ago and he found them easy(he says)
The second was harder...nothing he hadnt seen before but set out "differently"whatever that means :? he said it was more than simple technique?and these were similar to the Tutors level 3/4 in his opinion...we only ran through a few at the end of these.
He says Ive given him "harder" :oops: (we did ********...can i say that? Whoops! Sorry, no!)I thought that was tough tbh.He reckons these were harder than NFER by a way and similar(possibly a bit harder)to SD Bright Sparks(we've done x4 of these too)
I keep saying to him(bad,bad mummy)are you SURE you found it ok?and he keeps replying he did, :o I think i may have built it up bigger than (I hope!)it actually was?I dunno...that or he existed from 8.30am-12pm in an alternate reality :?:
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Ill try to work out which(if any)we did with just a,b,c,d on the answer sheet..it may have been some he did in the last mth with Kip?
TBH the whole last few mths have been a blur!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

The different format answer sheet was something that had us quite worried as DD is a bit Dyspraxic and inclined to mis-read things. Because of this we had tried to invent our own to give her some practice.

Rotten mummy that I am I actually made her do us an 'artists impression' of how the answer sheet looked after the exam yesterday :D I am intending to recreate one but not sure how I would give everybody access to it.

If anybody very techy knows how (it will be a word or excel doc.) we could put it on the sticky.

Meanwhile - I will try to explain!

Answer sheet was single A4 sheet in black and white. Arranged in 3 columns, with blocks running down the page for each page of the question paper, (each block labelled at the top so kids know which page it's for). DD says pages numbered 4 to 13 as the practice questions were in the same booklet, so presumably 3 blocks in each column. Each block split into sections if there were diff. types of questions. with ABC XYZ or ABCDE to choose from running horizontally for each question.

Now you see why I made her draw me a picture!!! :?

Presumably this means the answers were printed on the question sheet after each question which explains why the test was 9 pages long.

Pixiequeen
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The information about the different style of answer sheet was first posted by Tolstoy on this thread in May 2009:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =16&t=9930

You can read more about the Bucks 12+ answer sheet on my Sticky here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=16392

Please be cautious about posting any detail on this year's test content because there will always be late testers in any area (due to illness, etc)

Sally-Anne
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Thanks pixie, that sort of makes sense and yes that would be different from what I would have expected. I am a bit cross I didn't twig this before test, I don't think it phased the boys I have been helping too much but I still wonder why it has changed? Does this do away with the ability to use answer sheet multi choice directly for speed as I have been suggesting.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

mum23, I don't think it's new - it was certainly like that last year and the year before. And yes it does do away with the working directly from the answer sheet technique. I don't think it fazes most DC - just slows all of them down. We were just nervous that if the answer sheet was just 85 rows of ABCXYZ with no gaps or sections it would be easy for DD to lose her place and end up with all her answers in the wrong boxes. Fortunately since it was split into sections that doesn't seem to have been a problem. Pretty sure 90% of the kids sitting the test will never have seen an answer sheet like that, and there are definitely no commercial papers available in that format.

Pixiequeen
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mum23* - please note that you cross-posted with me, above.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

sally anne, I am not sure what cross posted means :oops:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I was writing while you were!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now