2010 School / score / rank comparisons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Re: 2010 School / score / rank comparisons

Post by Milla »

PS as regards the second paper, well, I can't find it now but would put money (a bit, am broke) on having read somewhere - and I thought it was on the Pate's website wrt breaking down the marking, that they asserted that they would take, come a tie, in accordance with performance on the second paper. Anyone else bear this out?? I remember noticing it when doing all that self-reassurance stuff, when you think, oh, is my child properly bright enough etc, and being pleased as mine had done OK on second paper and this was just what I needed to see. (even when it goes right, one is a wreck. Horrid business.)
haeckel

Post by haeckel »

Milla, I have seen that on Pate's site, regarding 2nd paper. Where there is a tie in standardised score rank, they then go by the raw score achieved on the 2nd paper.
happychap

Post by happychap »

milla and haekel:

Pate’s Admissions Test (“the Test”)
Pate’s is a selective school, and to gain entry into Year 7 pupils must sit and pass the Admissions Test
organised by the school. Children sit the Test in the autumn term of Year 6. The Test is held at Pate’s,
although children may also sit the Test at another approved venue, such as another Gloucestershire
grammar school, provided that Pate’s has been notified of their intention to sit the Test elsewhere.
The Admissions Test consists of 2 verbal reasoning papers. The standardised marks in the 2 papers are
added together to give a total score to each applicant. The total score is used to place applicants in rank
order. In the event of a tie the applicants are placed in order by reference to the total raw scores achieved
in the test and in the event of a further tie by reference to the highest individual raw score on paper 2 (The
second paper sat on the day of the test).

In the event that pupils remain tied after these methods of ranking have been adopted the matter will be
referred to the Admissions Review group to consider any other relevant academic data available.

This is from here: http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/utili ... iaid=32542

Page 57 about Pates.

I knew I had seen it too and went looking for you. Hope that helps confirm.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I am attempting(!) to split this thread-as the original discussion was useful for parents next year.

The discussion on distances travelled to Grammar is now in a separate thread,so please keep this thread on the original topic.

Thanks
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Pates 239, outside 160
STR 233
Crypt 122.5

He's happy about Tommy's but must admit I'm feeling the odds seem to have been stacked against him (very maths-orientated, September birthday boy) after reading the posts about there being less maths this year.
He's a non-sporty, drama-loving boy whose friends are mainly girls, so I would love to hear from anyone who can reassure me that he'll be happy at Tommy's!!
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Hello Parismum, my son is in Yr 7 at Tommies. He had the same score as yours for Pates and slightly higher for Tommies last year. He was v disappointed not to get Pates, we did appeal but to no avail (obviously!) We were very unsure that the traditional style of Tommies was the right environment for him but as he is very def a Grammar boy we took a deep breath and went for it. DS is not at all sporty and would have been more comfortable with co-ed. He isn't musical, very bookish, very into science and English. I am pleased to report that he has settled in very easily and made lots of new friends. Tommies' sport is mostly in terms of after school clubs. They have two timetable PE sessions a week (this term it has been one of rugby and one of swimming) To me the sport angle seems to be more focused on 'try your best' but so far def no feeling of inadequacy re lack of sporting prowess.I would love there to be more vibrancy in terms of the arts, I feel that it is there but you have to seek it out. There is a very wide choice of lunchtime clubs. Homework so far has been fine, they ease them in slowly.
So I would say that it is a misconception that Tommies is only for alpha sporty boys. They run a Science Summer School for the two mornings at the very end of the summer holidays which was fantastic. It's only for yr 7, they go in their own clothes and it's relaxed, fun and interesting; they get the school to themselves for two mornings and make friends before the dreaded First Day.
Also, the contact with Denmark Rd (shared bus journeys + discos) means that DS is not immersed completely in an all-boys world and he gets to see his friends from primary school.
A teacher commented to me that the benefit of an all-boys school is that they stay younger for longer; that must be a good thing :lol:
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Bridget, thanks so much for this, it was just what we were needed to hear. He is actually at Tommy's now for a tour so I'm hoping he'll come back really excited about it. Staying younger for longer sounds good to me and no doubt he'll benefit academically from the lack of girls! Hopefully he'll have the good fortune to bump into your lovely boy, sounds like they'd get on well. :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Just to add the science club is for Y8's as well and they run a drama club once a week.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now