Missed by 0.5

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lassett

Missed by 0.5

Post by lassett »

Arghhh :cry:

My son is 0.5 under crypt score. Does this mean he has no chance of getting in even on appeal? I spoke to a couple of children at the open day and 2 had missed out by about 5 points but got in on appeal but they didn't know the details about how or why. I'm so confused....

Does anyone know what I can do if anything? I will not send my son to the Academy!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Well done to those with excellent results. :)
mum23*

Re: Missed by 0.5

Post by mum23* »

Hard luck, don't give up though. I know someone whose dd got in to grammar and had missed by 4 marks. There are lots of people on here with excellent advice - find out what to do next.
lassett

Post by lassett »

Thank you mum23.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I've known appeals succeed for children who (for example) scored 196 when the pass mark was 210, but they did have very good reasons that the child should have passed. Then again, last year Ribston took everyone who passed but still were not full, and as I understand it the appeal panel allowed a lot of appeals. Crypt may have been similar, but I've not heard about their appeals.

So all is not lost!

You can't, however, start to appeal yet. An appeal is 'an appeal when a school place has not been offered', and the offers come out in March. There's nothing to stop you gathering evidence now, however. I'd recommend popping over to the 'Appeals forum' here and reading the FAQ at the top of that section - it will take you some time, though! Ignore anything about 'informal appeals or headteachers reviews' as these don't happen in Gloucestershire (luckily).

Good luck
Capers
lassett

Post by lassett »

Thanks Capers, I will go and have a read.

I'm feeling dreadful that we couldn't afford to get him a tutor for the extra help. He had to guess the last 8 questions because he ran out of time and that could have made all the difference. I feel like a failure. :cry:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Many, many children guessed the last few questions.

You'll also be able to say with honesty to the appeals panel that you didn't have any tutoring for your son. It shouldn't make a difference to the appeal, but it might just swing it.

I'd still put Crypt as first option on the choice form, but do make sure you have a second choice that your son could both be happy with and you're likely to get, then at least you'll be slightly less stressed when appealing.
Capers
doneanddusted

Post by doneanddusted »

DS got into Crypt last year after qualifying for Tommy's but being one of the 'twilight zone' on 211. On allocation day I thought I heard on this forum that there were about 70 spare places at Crypt and that parents of children within 1 mark of their pass mark had been written to and almost invited to appeal - so don't despair - you've got an excellent chance of getting in.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I know 3 years ago when DS took the test,there were boys who missed the pass mark by up to a point and were written to,asking if they wanted to appeal.I would honestly say that when everything has been sorted out come march,he is still in with a good chance of a place.I agree with Capers-put Crypt as your first choice,then the school will at least have the information that he wanted the place!

Good luck,

GM
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi there

First of all your DS has done incredibly well to get the score he did and you should be very proud of him. Please do not feel a failure because you did not get him tutored and please do appeal - you will get lots of help on this forum and being half a mark under gives your DS a very good chance of success.

My DS is in year 9 now and there are definitely boys who got in on appeal in his year.

I wish you all the best, please let us know how you get on.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Lovely message from Burneth and bang on the money. Don't give up heart. It's so easy to be despondent and, yes, there's a long wait ahead til March and then the stress of appeal but now that you've found this forum (and, yes, I wish I'd found it for DS1 :( ) then you are in the BEST place for help - the lovely Etienne and co are so helpful and you will be able to give yourself and your son the best shot at securing the Crypt for him. It may seem doom and gloom now and, yes, it's horrid knowing that there's hassle ahead, but it does all re-jig extraordinarily in the next few months, the time DOES pass, so keep strong and CALM and come back and tell us the good news next spring. :D
Good Luck!! Your boy's done well, don't get sad!!