question re CAF and allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

Re: question re CAF and allocations

Post by capers123 »

turtleglos wrote:We are in the same situation. I have told ds1 that if he wants me to appeal in March, he has to work really hard all year and do very well in the sats.
The SATS results come out after the appeals are heard. Some schools give the predicted SATS scores to either the appeals panel or to the parents (who then include that info in the appeals papers.

What is interesting though is a couple of times I've heard re-appeals - a fresh hearing of an appeal with a new panel (rare, but not unheard of). These tend to be after the end of term, so we get to see the actual SATS results. With both appeals the original paperwork was also included showing the predicted SATS, and in both cases, the schools had predicted higher results than the child actually attained. Could be a genuinely wrong guess on the schools part, or could be them inflating the results to improve the chances of winning an appeal.

I like to see KS1 SATS results and CATS as well to give a better view of what the childs ability is.

As for school reports, they're often not worth the paper they're written on - they're so non-committal!
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I like to see KS1 SATS
Capers when looking at the key stage 1 results do you make allowances for age?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I certainly wont be appealing though-personally Im not desperate for Pates enough for that angst and would happily take a Tommies place(damn them for not doing a bus )He was happy,confident and all was good on the day.
The only reason I would appeal is if ds1 really wanted to give it a go and he would have to give me plenty of ammo to fire). I think he will be happy not to have the stress though(I hope so because I really dont want it!)
I would take his place at Marling without a problem,however I'm not the person who will be going.
We are going to look around both this Thursday again
Us to in the hope that we can make a final decision.
I am just soooooo proud of him for sitting the test in the first place. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Ditto turtle :D
Im caught up in the dizzy proud/nervous moment..our kids have done good :wink:
See you Thurs then...
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Oh and my ds1 isnt remotely bothered Pates v Tommies,I hope that stays the same after Thurs!makes life easier :wink: :!:
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ever since I was stupid enough to take him to Pates(I only went as I had been told to put it down for info and didnt know anything about it!) its been ds1=Pates, parents= Marling. I decided that we had better not look at any more schools as they would propably cause more confusion. :lol:
Ultimately it has to be ds1' choice as he has to go to whichever school we decide on(assuming it goes to 138)and we decide to put it top.
Omg I feel as though I am going around in circles and just getting very dizzy :!:
We will see you on Thursday muminTewkes :wink:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
MOOSHOO15

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

I know there have been a lot of postings on this subject, but I just need to put my understanding of the process down in writing and have it confirmed for me!! DD2 is ranked 160 for Pates and wants us to put this as 1st choice on the CAF (even though I know it won't go down that far, but I guess we have nothing to lose). We would then put HSFG (score 238) second and would hope that this score is pretty safe for offer of a place. Then when we don't get allocated Pates, HSFG becomes our first preference and there will be no prejudice against us for initially not placing it top on the CAF. Then, if allocated HSFG, we can accept the place on March 1st and, if wanted, to could ask to be put on waiting list for Pates, but HSFG place would be secured? I wanted to fill out the form online tonight - am completely paranoid that I will miss the deadline of October 31st!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes yes yes!
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Moo-same here!(only STRS instead of HSFG) and yes..thats what ill be doing :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now