Appeals?? :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cairo

Re: Appeals?? :(

Post by cairo »

Just on the point relating to marks at Pates, I think what they do is they say everyone in the top 160 places scored sufficient to qualify i.e. 240, then work out everyone else's scores relative to that. So there will be people who didn't qualify on 239, 238, 237 etc.

DCs in the top 160 get one of 2 letters: either saying you're in the top 120 (therefore guaranteed a place if you want it) or you are ranked 121, 122...160. So the confusion arises because some people get letters with rankings and some people get letters with scores!

There have been stories of successful appeals at Pates, but I think you need very strong mitigating circumstances to stand much of a chance, mainly because the school offers 120 places (4 classes of 30) so is therefore full. Other GSs offer fewer places (e.g. 4 classes of 28 or 27) so it's easier to make an argument that they could squeeze a few more in.
Last edited by cairo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Sorry made mistake his standardised score was 231 not 131!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

nearlythere wrote:Can anyone help with appeals professionally? There seem to be quite a few on this site who know a lot about the subject matter and would appreciate some help.
There are professional appeals advice companies around.

However, a home made appeal is likely to be far more effective. There tend not to be 'legal' problems in Gloucestershire, as the admissions & appeals processes are handled quite accurately, yet some of the appeals companies are lawyers (charging lawyers fees).

I'd say most, probably all, appeals in Gloucestershire are done by the parents, without help from professionals. In other counties that is different.

You can pick up an awful lot of help in the Appeals forum here, especially reading the FAQ's.

I've done some appeals this year where an advisor from the MOD has been present to help the parents - they have tended to wind up the panels, turning it into a very formal process and trying to introduce technicalities which actually didn't apply. Appeals should be as informal as possible (within a framework) and subject to rules of Natural Justice.
Capers
pluto1

Post by pluto1 »

Have to agree with Capers. We had a successful appeal year before last, which we did without referring to the "Professionals". There is so much help and advice available on this forum (Particularly in the appeals section as a starter) and we found the admissions team very helpful with our requests for information. The appeals panel were fair and did their best to put as at ease. I would also add that no-one else will have the same motivation as you do when preparing and presenting your appeal. :). Hard work, but well worth it.
Good luck.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I should add that it's the strength of your evidence, rather than how it's presented, that panels look at.

I've known appeals where the parents have sent in no paperwork in advance & have their notes (if any) on that back of a fag packet (so to speak) win. And appeals with beautifully produced, full colour, bound folders of evidence fail. Of course, the opposite is also true.

Put another way. An appeal where the parents produce a copy of grannies death certificate dated the day before the exam as their only evidence would easily outweigh a stack of medical reports about how Johnny had broken his leg in Rugby 9 months before the exam and it might still twinge a bit, accompanied by 'photos of Johnny holding an award for rugby, on holiday with the rest of the family, certificates from cubs, pre-grade1 ballet certificate from when he was 6, every school report from age 5 up, certificates from school for good effort in RE, and excerpts of the best bits of his work books at school and an inconclusive educational psychologists report. Yes, we do get quite a few appeal documents like that.
Capers
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

So, Capers, is there any hope do you think, for a child who simply underperformed on the day? (Thinking my DD's best friend here). Yes the child was unwell (up during the night with tummy trouble) but her parents perhaps unwisely let her sit the test anyway. Level 5's at school, I'm sure the school would be supportive - they suggested she should try for grammar.

Child has passed, but too far down the ranking for SHS. Realise you are currently trying to discourage DD's from applying for SHS :D but would like to be able to advise child's mum whether there is any hope at appeal.

Thank you

Pixiequeen
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

So Capers, how much weight would grandfather dying 3 weeks before with funeral in the week after carry??? :wink:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

pixiequeen wrote:So, Capers, is there any hope do you think, for a child who simply underperformed on the day? (Thinking my DD's best friend here). Yes the child was unwell (up during the night with tummy trouble) but her parents perhaps unwisely let her sit the test anyway. Level 5's at school, I'm sure the school would be supportive - they suggested she should try for grammar.

Child has passed, but too far down the ranking for SHS. Realise you are currently trying to discourage DD's from applying for SHS :D but would like to be able to advise child's mum whether there is any hope at appeal.
There is always hope at appeal. Tummy trouble would be better if documented (doctors note), but I know that most people don't take children to the doctors just because of a tummy ache (I'm sitting at home with DD1 in bed because of a tummy ache). And she passed, so there is a reasonable chance at appeal.

Consider Ribston, though, as assuming the year is the same as theprevious two years, she'd have a better chance for that. And you can always have two appeals for two schools - the panels will be different and you can send different information to each.

Then there's always the Y8 appeal. No need to retake a test (she's already passed), and there are often a few places empty once Y8 starts (even in Y7, but you can't appeal twice in the same year unless significant new evidence becomes available).
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

turtleglos wrote:So Capers, how much weight would grandfather dying 3 weeks before with funeral in the week after carry??? :wink:
Some weight. It would go into my pile of Possibles, but of course, depends on the strength of the other appeals.
Capers
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Thanks Capers, thats something to be decided a long time into the future yet. We dont even know if we want that school! :lol: Just happy to be where we are.
Good luck for your ds fingers are crossed.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.