Stroud or Ribston?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rob Clark

Re: Stroud or Ribston?

Post by Rob Clark »

Tolstoy is not stout in Russian pronunciation, Tolstoy is a Russian writer.
Amber speaks fluent Russian. I suspect she probably knows both the etymology of Russian words, and who Tolstoy was :lol: Just saying…
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Rob Clark wrote:
Tolstoy is not stout in Russian pronunciation, Tolstoy is a Russian writer.
Amber speaks fluent Russian. I suspect she probably knows both the etymology of Russian words, and who Tolstoy was :lol: Just saying…
A fluent Russian speaker living in cheltenham... Should we be worried about this ??
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tolstoy is not stout in Russian pronunciation, Tolstoy is a Russian writer. :)
Yeah, thanks for that. I have read his works in Russian. The adjective from which his name derives - Толстый - tolstii- means stout. Just as собака - sobaka, pronounced soobarka - means dog. (Sorry, don't like parading this on here but felt after that put-down I needed to).

Yes stroudydad - not only a Russian speaker but a stylish one too. 8) Be very afraid.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

;-)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Amber, not only can you speak Russian but get your computer to write it as well. Most inpressed struggle to get my phone to write French despite it being French. :lol:
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

justbehappy wrote:Wish we knew someone else with option for Pates who is also from a LA school. Perhaps that's why we're nervous as DD will be in the minority I'm sure. Thought the head at Pates was very inspirational...and genuinely nice. Found out last night he's not long moved from SHS :cry:

If it helps, I know of six children going to Pate's next year who are from state primary schools. The majority in DD's class (Y9) came from state primary schools too. It was a worry when we let her go there, but it was unfounded.

DD2 who has just started at SHS seems to have a similar mix in her class as regards distance travelled, previous school type etc.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

FluffyCat wrote:
justbehappy wrote:Wish we knew someone else with option for Pates who is also from a LA school. Perhaps that's why we're nervous as DD will be in the minority I'm sure. Thought the head at Pates was very inspirational...and genuinely nice. Found out last night he's not long moved from SHS :cry:

If it helps, I know of six children going to Pate's next year who are from state primary schools. The majority in DD's class (Y9) came from state primary schools too. It was a worry when we let her go there, but it was unfounded.

DD2 who has just started at SHS seems to have a similar mix in her class as regards distance travelled, previous school type etc.
Whilst I can understand this may be a concern about sending DC to an expensive private school it seems to be an absurd reason for not sending them to a state school. FluffyCat is correct and not only is this so for Grammars but for many other types of secondary school as well. My DS that attends an Upper school ( old type secondary modern) has made more ex independent school friends there than his brothers ever did when they went to Grammar. In fact none of their friends attended one. Plus the small group of parents we have met so far all sent their DC to an independent previously. I am not entirely sure why you would think of them as any different from us or their DC from our DC. :?
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

Aahhh...I see where you're coming from Tolstoy. I didn't mean it to come across in that way. I just assume that privately educated children are leaps and bounds ahead of state schools due to smaller class sizes and scope to move further ahead. I thought my DD may feel overwhelmed. Turning it into a positive, she will probably enjoy the challenge.

Thank you Fluffycat too.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Have PM'd you, justbehappy.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

justbehappy wrote:Aahhh...I see where you're coming from Tolstoy. I didn't mean it to come across in that way. I just assume that privately educated children are leaps and bounds ahead of state schools due to smaller class sizes and scope to move further ahead. I thought my DD may feel overwhelmed. Turning it into a positive, she will probably enjoy the challenge.

Thank you Fluffycat too.
Exactly she is obviously up to it. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now