Pate's tomorrow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muminTewkes

Re: Pate's tomorrow

Post by muminTewkes »

Same tutleglos.
PAID extra curricular????? :shock: missed that bit...Ill be all ears tomorrow then :?
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Think this might apply to trips for Duke of Edinburgh and Combined Cadet Force and such like. I have not been asked for money for any extra curricular events...not yet anyway!
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

I read on another thread about private French tutors. Do students need that type of extra coaching to keep up, normally?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I dont mind paying for DofE or CCF as plans are that all our dcs will do these at some point(they just dont know it yet). :shock: My ds1 doesnt have a passport yet so if he thinks he's gallivanting all around the world.... :lol: :lol:
I wont be paying for a french tutor so if thats what he needs to pass french he will fail.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Ditto. There will be no extra tuition for school, my kids will have to do their best with the help we can give them :D That said, I guess if it were English or Maths or Science then I might consider it but I am hoping that will not be necessary :? A*s are not in my sights, just trying to get through the first term with DS1
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

Is everyone bringing children with them? My DS saw Pate's in July with my DH but I couldn't go ( or perhaps I felt he didn't have a hope in getting in so I thought the family outing might be a bit much) Anyhoo since I didn't visit his current school before sending him there I thought I would break with habit and have a look see. My DS says I need to marvel at the amazing Art department. Is there and art club?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

yes, ds1 is coming too. Dh didnt come in July and ds1 has to convince him why Pates should go on his CAF in the hope the list goes far enough. :twisted:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Last year everyone seemed to come with their children.

I too have not been asked to pay for any extra curricular activities although I would hazard a guess that the sailing would incur an additional cost.

As regards the private French tutition I have not heard about this, but the school does assume that our DC do have the basics and thus offered a couple of free catch up classes in the summer term prior to admission. My DS1 who had only done spasmodic French at primary school did not attend and is not struggling at present.

I hope you all enjoy tomorrow and whatever you decide to do you should all be very proud of your children for qualifying.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

Thats good about the French lessons as my DS also has had rather scanty lessons at primary school. He, however, tells me he is not interested in French but wants to learn Latin. :o When I challenged him that surely he was more likely to converse with someone in French he replied "I will talk to unclein Latin" I have no idea if my brother speaks Latin :?:
BTW mine won't be having extra tuition either. They will be too busy "doing jobs for mummy and daddy" which is what DS wrote in his 'All about me' section of his book for his new teacher this year. HA! creative writing I am sure..
Just need to remember to tell his teacher in the morning. Is it going to be busy?
Last edited by livviloo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red

Post by Red »

I have a DC in year 8. Sailing activity is optional and does incur additional cost. School trips: French, German trips, sports tours, music trips/tours are also optional and additional cost. I declined the French one last year on a value for money calculation but have opted for the German trip this year. I felt mean at the time but it worked out to be for the best. We have been asked for a small voluntary contribution for materials in DT.

So far, absolutely no need for tutors. I am surprised by the number of times I have to "gently remind" DC that, quite often, the explanation/clarification/answer she needs is in the text book. Sadly these books are clearly too heavy to pick up or difficult to operate or coated in poison nowadays. Actually, I suppose in a Google/Office world, having to actually read through :shock: something to find what you need probably is a bit of a barrier. :(

Red