Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:12 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 51
Just thought we'd start this one going in case anyone is further down the list for Stroud High and hoping to move up the list.

We are turning down a place in the top 120 at Stroud High. (and Denmark Road and Ribston)

Good luck to those waiting to go there!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
Is Capers giving out rewards/incentives? I think we should be told. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
Amber wrote:
Is Capers giving out rewards/incentives? I think we should be told. :shock:

Nah - I'm a bit laid back about it all. I'm 99% sure DD will get in, even if it's slightly harder to do so than last year - and at the moment I think it will be a little easier, going on the figures I was told.

Anyway, I know of two girls who took the test at SHS who have been offered places at Pates, and I'm pretty sure they're taking the places up.

Problem is, most of the people who just ticked all of the boxes, and are going to either Pates or the Gloucester schools won't even think of saying they're not going to SHS.

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:56 am
Posts: 9
Hi Capers

As we are also on the wait list for SHS and both in the early 200's it is encouraging to hear that you are so confident of a place. Looking back on the forum it seems to only have got as far as the early 180's in the last couple of years, is your confidence due to the fact that you feel you have a strong case for appeal or do you have some insider knowledge that we don't know about? :?

Have you got any figures that you can share that would ease the agony a little as I am not feeling your confidence and any little tit bits of news help during this rollercoater of a ride that we are on! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
toffeeapple wrote:
Hi Capers

As we are also on the wait list for SHS and both in the early 200's it is encouraging to hear that you are so confident of a place. Looking back on the forum it seems to only have got as far as the early 180's in the last couple of years, is your confidence due to the fact that you feel you have a strong case for appeal or do you have some insider knowledge that we don't know about? :?

Have you got any figures that you can share that would ease the agony a little as I am not feeling your confidence and any little tit bits of news help during this rollercoater of a ride that we are on! :)


In that position last year your daughter would have got a place without resorting to an appeal. What I don't know is how far down the offers went on National Allocation Day, but certainly you would have got the place by June after all the shuffling round.

My gut feeling is it will go lower this year, but until 1st March, I don't actually know.

You can always put Ribston 2nd if you really want a grammar, as you'll be bound to get it - then ask for reconsideration for SHS & to go on the waiting list.

I think my DD has decided to put Archway 2nd, as in the very, very slim chance that she didn't get SHS, the hassle of travelling to Ribston from Stroud outweighs the benefits.

Her choice, no pressure from us. We would be happy with either. Archway has a better music department than Ribston & I know of a lot of bright children there (including last year a load of boys who passed for Marling). Ribston has a much better dance department - but DD isn't into that kind of dance. I suspect that the 1/2 GCSE in RE that all girls at Ribston have to take may well have also put her off, even though I pointed out that RE in secondary school is far more interesting than primary RE (and I was briefly on Glos SACRE, which lays down the RE syllabus).

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
Quote:
I suspect that the 1/2 GCSE in RE that all girls at Ribston have to take may well have also put her off, even though I pointed out that RE in secondary school is far more interesting than primary RE (and I was briefly on Glos SACRE, which lays down the RE syllabus).


Slightly OT but taking up that point: Even if the school doesn't do the half GCSE, all students in KS4 will be made to study RE anyway, as it is, I believe, a statutory requirement. Many schools decide to put them in for the exam if they're having to study the subject anyway. My friend has DC at 2 schools - one of which does the half GCSE and one of which doesn't - and the DC at the latter is miffed at the waste of time, while the first one at least gets a qualification of sorts for his troubles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:56 am
Posts: 9
That's interesting Capers, so are you saying that post allocation day last year and pre appeals the wait list got down into the 200's? I know that my DD's score of 226 would have comfortably got her a place on allocations day last year but as, with that score, she is much further down in the rankings this year I thought that are chances were minimal? If we know (which i think we do from this forum) that the offers could not have gone past 185 on allocation day last year as 186 got in on appeal is there really that much movement post allocation, I was under the impression that the movement was minimal with only 1 or 2 declining places to go to Indie?

Also can you tell me whether the school are able to offer from the wait list pre appeals? I am still a little bit confused about how it all works post allocation day.

I wish I had found this forum earlier as we were very naive going into this process (DD only looked around SHS in June and completely fell in love with it) and we only ticked the box for SHS, although, to be fair, I don't think we would consider any of the other grammers it was just that we love the vibe at SHS! We are very fortunate that we have a very good comp as a fall back.

Sorry for all the questions, I have become very neurotic about the whole thing and although the logical part of my brain is telling me that there is no point in fretting and that whatever will be will be (no amount of speculation will give anyone a clearer picture until 01st March) I just can't help myself!!! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
toffeeapple wrote:
That's interesting Capers, so are you saying that post allocation day last year and pre appeals the wait list got down into the 200's? I know that my DD's score of 226 would have comfortably got her a place on allocations day last year but as, with that score, she is much further down in the rankings this year I thought that are chances were minimal? If we know (which i think we do from this forum) that the offers could not have gone past 185 on allocation day last year as 186 got in on appeal is there really that much movement post allocation, I was under the impression that the movement was minimal with only 1 or 2 declining places to go to Indie?


There's three figures. Score, Rank and Waiting List position. The ones we're looking at at the moment are Score & Rank. The Waiting List is not drawn up until Allocations day.

The reason that a score that would have achieved (for example) a rank of 190 last year only gets a rank of 220 this year is because more parents have ticked all the schools on the grammar application form this year than last year. They can't take a place at all four schools come allocations day!

There are 120 girls for each of the three schools, plus 60 for Pates, who are going to get offered a place at each school. If those children all ticked all 4 schools, then number 420 on the SHS ranking would get a place! Of course, not all parents tick all the boxes, but a lot have this year - more than ever before. The schools can tell, because they ask that you take the test at the school likely to be your first choice, but then see all the scores coming forward for their school from the children sitting elsewhere.

Quote:
Also can you tell me whether the school are able to offer from the wait list pre appeals? I am still a little bit confused about how it all works post allocation day.


Appeals and waiting lists are totally unconnected. Once the initial offers go out on March 1st, parents may decline the offer, or ask for reconsideration for another school - and if it's granted it frees up a place. This is then offered to the first person on the waiting list. Sometimes they wait until they can offer a batch of 10 spaces at the same time, but the later it gets, the more likely the places will be offered one by one.

Once the appeals are heard, the schools are likely to go over PAN - or over-full to put it another way. Then no more places are offered from the waiting list until numbers drop back down below PAN - which may never happen!

Quote:
I wish I had found this forum earlier as we were very naive going into this process (DD only looked around SHS in June and completely fell in love with it) and we only ticked the box for SHS, although, to be fair, I don't think we would consider any of the other grammers it was just that we love the vibe at SHS! We are very fortunate that we have a very good comp as a fall back.


Yep, there's some good comps round here. However, just because a school has a good reputation, does not mean it will suit your child. F'rinstance, one comp not far from my office is very highly thought of and was very oversubscribed last year. Yet we thought our children would not do well there - too calm & quiet for them, and couldn't see them fitting in. Yet some of their friends & relatives thrive there (and that has nothing to do with academic ability - again I know of 11+ passes who chose it instead of the grammars).

We're just so lucky in our part of Gloucestershire to have a real choice!

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:25 pm
Posts: 2556
I think that this is Capers' clearest explanation yet. And, God knows, there have been a few! To spare his / her fingers (with or without bells on them :wink: ) could this be copied into one of the stickies since the since included applies not just to SHS and "boy parents" (for whom it is equally applicable, describing as it does The System) might miss such useful info.
(good luck with little miss capers 123 the second)


Copied to sticky-GM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
Quote:
F'rinstance, one comp not far from my office is very highly thought of and was very oversubscribed last year. Yet we thought our children would not do well there - too calm & quiet for them, and couldn't see them fitting in.


Gosh, I like the sound of that school. I wonder if there are any jobs going? Never heard of a comp being described as 'calm and quiet' before. Are you prepared to reveal its identity?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016