Tuition Fee Total Spend (+ Survey)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

How much did you spend in total

Nothing
4%
Up to £50
16%
£51 - £100
10%
£101 - £250
18%
£251 - £500
18%
£501 - £750
12%
£751 - £1000
6%
£1001 - £1500
6%
£1501 - £2000
2%
More than £2000
8%

Total votes: 50

moved

Re: Tuition Fee Total Spend (+ Survey)

Post by moved »

I have just worked out how much my clients pay me over a 10-11 month period and it is approx £700. This is 1:1 tuition at one lesson per week and an exam club in the summer. I do not teach every week during the holidays as clients are on holiday and occasionally I have a life too.

This also includes bespoke materials.

Subsequently, I have worked out the cost of attending one of my fortnightly groups. This amounts to about £300 for 2 hour sessions with 3-4 children per session. Again materials are provided.

Final edit: as I am ceasing to tutor I am not advertising my services, just trying to help those who wish to price tuition.
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

I had intended to DIY and bought the Nfer papers with this in mind. However, after attempting the first one with DD I decided that I did not have the patience to deal with her.

She is fast approaching puberty and getting very stroppy at the drop of a hat, something that I became very aware of when trying to "help" her with the test.

At this point I decided that I would be better getting help and looked round for a tutor, but found that quite difficult as we had apparently left it quite late. Luckily I found one and she was absolutely fantastic with my DD.
Last edited by Sabanna on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I have posted my survey result-equates to 1 lesson a week with tutor for approx 12 months.I did not have the patience or inclination to do it myself(and a DS who would have been obliging to home tuition either :? )
happychap

Post by happychap »

Same here.

About one hour a week for a year - not including holidays.

Comprehension homework set every week too.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

I spent about £60 on materials including workbook, papers and stationary(if I'm being pedantic about this:p) and about 20 hours of my time. I make good money in my line of work so if, of course, I accounted for my time in money I could have earnt, paid tax on and then paid someone else with, then it was less cost effective to do DIY. However I really enjoyed the process and I learnt a lot about my DS in many ways (like how he copes under pressure etc) and we really enjoyed the time together. Also I could be more flexible about the time we studied so if he or I wanted to do something else the we gave it a miss but scheduled it in for another time in the week. I tried to get him to be responsible for this. I would do DIY again but not just for the money saving aspect, which it probably isn't in real terms, but because I think we both gained more out of it than what is tangible in results. BTW he is in top 120 for pates.
Of course I felt confident about verbal reasoning and for the 2 types of questions I couldn't get my head around teaching him, my DH who is a teacher stepped in. Why didn't he do it I hear you ask? Because they are too hot headed with each other and it wouldn't have worked. So I totally appreciate that sometimes the chemistry isn't there to work with your own kids and sometimes we feel like we may not be the "best" person to teach them some things.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

I went down the DIY route too, more out of ignorance than anything else. Spent about £30 on the Susan Daugherty Verbal Reasoning Technique and Practice books and one pack of practise papers.

I sat him down on his own to work through one type of question a day from the end of the summer holidays in Y6, ten minutes per day, then we did three full papers at the end. He was the one who wanted GS so was very motivated.

He is currently in Y7 at Pate's but I am pleased he did not sit this year as maths is definately his forte and I understand there was a slant towards English this year.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

We DIYed - I spent quite a lot - 2 CD's, 1 x method & technique book, 7 sets of papers which I reckon in total must be approaching £100 (think the CD's or downloads were £20ish each) and endless pencils, packets of chocolate buttons etc.

I do think we probably over did it in our ignorance, though. Reckon you could spend half that and be fine.

If you were to include the cost of the horseriding lessons I bribed DD with instead of using a tutor, and the 'rewards' at the end, I think the tutor would have been cheaper....but DD can canter now... :D

Pixiequeen
shaann

Post by shaann »

Thankyou so much for all your posts.It has been an eye opener.To be honest I was worried it would cost in the thousands. :shock:

Its all of no use now to dc unfortunately.I think also the comments of this years test being more english than maths didn`t help us either, dc a whiz with numerical puzzles but did struggle with the similar and opposite ones.

Now don`t have alot of choice.....a good faith comp but we are in the any others last category,an ok ish comp but is in a vast estate so is full up before the cut of line reaches our address and the new academy. :?

The only people laughing this year will be the comps getting an unusual influx of maths students :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

I've split this topic as requested. The new thread is called "Independent/State preparation for Pates".