Countdown to March 1st

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
turtleglos

Countdown to March 1st

Post by turtleglos »

I thought I'd get you started
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
giraffe

Re: Countdown to March 1st

Post by giraffe »

...that still sounds like quite a long time to go...anyone have any educated guesses or are in the know re. scores, rankings and place offer possibilities for this year? - especially with regard to SHS -I'm sure nobody knows any more than the rest of us (apart from if you work for GCC ed. dept!)...Good luck to all!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'm not even sure that Glos CC would know. For a start, it's all done by a computer...

The software wouldn't be looking at individual scores, but purely on the ranking each child will have been given by each school that they asked for. It will allocate the top ranked 120 (or whatever the PAN is) for each school of the children who have the school as 1st preference (or effective 1st preference if not allocated their first preference).

So say parents had put Pate's 1st, STR 2nd. Their son wasn't in the top 120 for Pate's, but was in the top 120 for STR, so would be allocated that.

At some point the schools will be notified of which children they've been allocated so they can send out 'Welcome' letters around the same time, but I don't think it would be very far in advance of 1st March. As for leaking information, I've never known it happen. The admissions staff at the schools do tend to be as helpful as possible to us parents, but they also work within the letter of the law & admissions code.

It's only on 1st March that the waiting lists start, and people here can start working out the stats.
Capers
gresford34

Post by gresford34 »

:lol: Apparently it's a really low birth year so that might help some of us :?:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Can't wait till Thursday. Maybe then I'll be able to concentrate on Dd this year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

An admissions officer at one of the grammars (not one in which I have an interest so it wasn't said to make a point) told me that she only finds out the night before which children have been successful in gaining places. She had got a bit fed up of parents ringing up a couple of weeks ago hoping to get some inside information which she genuinely didn't have. So no leaks are likely to come from the school.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

ok now reading this has made me feel a bit nervous. I don't think I need to be but I think because it is nearly Thurs I have had a wobble. 222 should be good enough for STR shouldn't it? We shared results with Pates and Crypt and it wasn't good enough for Pates. Well, best of luck all. Hope you get what you want. x
Amber

Post by Amber »

mum23* wrote:ok now reading this has made me feel a bit nervous. I don't think I need to be but I think because it is nearly Thurs I have had a wobble. 222 should be good enough for STR shouldn't it?
Yes.
Highest they have been in last 5 years was 220.
Last year it was 213, I think; previous year 215; one before that 218. I think they are trying to get it lower so that near enough, as far as they can predict with this daft system we have, a pass will mean a place. They're not there yet, but 222 sounds pretty good to me. Hope my little one will be joining yours there in September.
Okmum!

Post by Okmum! »

I just want Thursday to be here and hope 218 gets us into HSFG x :P
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Amber wrote:An admissions officer at one of the grammars (not one in which I have an interest so it wasn't said to make a point) told me that she only finds out the night before which children have been successful in gaining places. She had got a bit fed up of parents ringing up a couple of weeks ago hoping to get some inside information which she genuinely didn't have. So no leaks are likely to come from the school.
Then come 1st March, she'll be inundated with parents asking where they are on the waiting list and/or how to appeal. If you can, try & leave it a few days before calling.

Details on how to appeal should be in with the LEA letter (or maybe from the school). If you do need to appeal, there's no need to panic or rush - there's no priority given to those getting the appeal form in first!

Hopefully, though (fingers crossed) everyone here will not have to appeal.
Capers