Does anyone know what will happen when I get my email??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

morrisdancingmummy

Does anyone know what will happen when I get my email??

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

Hi all,

Practicalities are finally beginning to sink in now.

Like most of you I will be up past midnight next Monday, probably talking to each other on the forum, as we wait with out Inboxes open.....

But WHAT will happen???

Presumably Email will say Child has place at (Please please please) X school.

But whats all this about 'after allocation days' places. How does that work? Does it mean that if 2nd choice is on email we could still get in at 1st choice without an appeal?

I know it might be a bit premature but just wondering how set in concrete the allocation is.....

Advice from you experienced people out there appreciated.

Many thanks,

Morris Dancing Mummy

PS hoping for HSFG place ..........score 117

OOPs see below! 217!!!!!!!!
Last edited by morrisdancingmummy on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morrisdancingmummy

Re: Does anyone know what will happen when I get my email??

OOPs DD1 will be very cross... I mean 217

The stress is getting to me!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

morrisdancingmummy wrote:Presumably Email will say Child has place at (Please please please) X school.

But whats all this about 'after allocation days' places. How does that work? Does it mean that if 2nd choice is on email we could still get in at 1st choice without an appeal?

I know it might be a bit premature but just wondering how set in concrete the allocation is.....
You definately have the place you are offered, should you want it. You can ask for reconsideration for the other schools you have not been offered (most commonly for 1st placed school - but not always). There's then the juggling stage, where - say - some parents use their firm offers of places as leverage for private school scholarships, others have moved home but forgotten to tell the LEA, and so on. So then there is a big shuffle, and people down the list do get re-offered a higher choice - but you DO HAVE TO ASK for it. It is advisable to also accept the place offered, otherwise you may not have a school next year.

The shuffled places may not be offered for a month or so, and even after that there's still more movement in the lists. I know some schools tended to offer in batches, so they could give all who had an equal rank a place.

Once the appeals have happened (late May start), then it's likely there will be no more movement for some time - if appeals have been allowed, and the school has more pupils than its IAN/PAN, then they have to wait until they're back down to PAN before a place can be offered. It is possible to apply for a place or appeal a second time in a following year, but by then many children are quite settled in their new schools.

Hope that helps.
Capers
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Hopefully when you get your email you will leap up into the air and cheer!
Milla

Post by Milla »

MDM, purely going by what my friend was told with a slightly lower score than yours (her DD1 is at Denmark Rd and she wanted to know what the odds were for her DD2), I would put hard cash on you getting DRd. Particularly with more girls than the last couple of years having got Pate's this year. I know nothing is certain but I would be (cautiously) very optimistic if I were you. Of course, if I WERE you I would be tearing my hair out
:roll: :lol:
morrisdancingmummy

Thanks to all who have replied!
Milla is right, am getting bolder/ baulder by the minute! not sure if am actually pulling it out or if stress is affecting it!

At least have family wedding this weekeNd to keep my mind off it! (plenty of drink will help!)

Thanks to Capers for his (???) usual succinct and factual reply, you put it perfectly, just what I was hoping you would say. Accept. Then go on waiting list. Then appeal (?????)

Good luck all!

At least you won't have me twittering on the forum over the weekend! But I do have a smartphone SO MAYBE! I apologise IN ADVANCE for any drunken messages! :wink: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now