Ribston/SHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rollercoaster

Re: Ribston/SHS

Post by rollercoaster »

I'm new to this forum. My DD is yet another qualified but ranked too low to be offered a place at SHS. This waiting is agony. Compounded by the fact that there are 30 appeals - many more than usual I believe.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Hi rollercoaster,
The general concensus is that it's usually around half that number. Looking at other posts, there seems to be movement on the waiting list, but in the wrong direction, with two girls being added at the top of the list!
I don't know if late comers can still put in for an appeal as well??? So maybe the number of appeals could still increase??
Good Luck with your appeal rollercoaster. Even if we aren't successful (but remember 1 in 4 'might' be) we can only do our best and know we have tried. :D
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

Yes, I was wondering today whether the appeal deadline was firm and what happens if people move to Gloucestershire at this stage and want to appeal for a school place. I suppose it's all academic. You're right OSM it cannot be said that we haven't tried!
crazybutsmiling

Post by crazybutsmiling »

Wow I didn't know they could add people to the waiting list after froms being sent in, that is very unfair. However, I do know that people can put in for an appeal after the deadline, usually at the end of the other appeals.
But how can they put people on waiting list now, after the deadline, can't they play by the rules?? :x
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

I also thought that you couldn't appeal for a school that wasn't on your admission form, but I have that wrong too.
Live and learn!
hopefulandstressed

Post by hopefulandstressed »

Apparently all appeals have to be heard, regardless of it they're lodged before the official date - personally I think this makes a mockery of having a date in which you have to lodge your appeal by. Late appeals will be heard after the initial ones (ie 10th, 13th & 14th June). By which time I guess their appeal is that much harder as the school will already have gone over PAN.

I also thought you couldn't be added to a waiting list unless you had put that school down on your original preference - obviously not the case.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

hopefulandstressed wrote: Late appeals will be heard after the initial ones (ie 10th, 13th & 14th June). By which time I guess their appeal is that much harder as the school will already have gone over PAN.
I thought they couldn't allocate any appeal places until ALL appeals had been heard. Is that wrong as well?
hopefulandstressed

As I understand it, the panel need to hear all the appeals that have been set initially (so all those on the 3 days set for June) before any decision is made. So I'm guessing we'll all have a result about a week after last appeal on 14th June. Appeals that were received later than those originally scheduled will be heard later and decisions made separately. I may, of course, have got it totally wrong :?
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Just when I think I am getting my head around the whole process, I reaslise I still have loads more to learn about this system. At this rate I still won't be ready for the next round and that's not for a good few years yet. :lol:
hopefulandstressed

And to think this time last year I was blissfully unaware of appeals, waiting lists etc! :) I used to think it was simply a case of sitting the 11 Plus and if your child was bright enough you'd get a place - Oh not to have to be in this position now ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now