pates grammar school cheltenham glos

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I know of 1 parent whose son took the Pates test and couldn't get his score from the school.So she got his headteacher to ring the school and hey presto she's got all the information now!!!

Gloucestermum
Bronco

Orsons E-mail

Post by Bronco »

Orson,

I am interested in your comment

The headteacher of the school has since said that this year's test was 'the hardest one set in the last 25 years'. The LEA is obviously keen to sort the men out from the boys! The test clearly was tough this year as not all the grammars in Glos. are able to fill their places as they would like and scores have needed to have been adjusted in such a way as to provide children with enough marks to appear to have fulfilled the criterion of scoring highly enough to have 'passed' the test.

As I will be going to appeal shortly for Denmark road, my daughter scored 104 in the 2nd test. Comments like your's are interesting.
Can you expand on your coment further?

Thanks
hampshire

Re: Pates, Chelt.

Post by hampshire »

Could you let me know where you advertise so that I can contact you as I am interested in talking to a private tutor
Orson wrote:I can confirm that offers for Pate's are earned by performing well in two VR tests; there is no Non-VR. Both tests contain 85 questions; the first is 45 mins in length and the second is 50 mins in length. Test one is straight forward whilst test two is 'more searching' in nature.

Pate's is (arguably) the 'best' grammar school in Gloucestershire, if not the south west of England. Consequently, the demand for places is very high and it is extremely difficult to get in.

I'm a private tutor and several children that I worked with this year received offers from Pate's. In previous years children were offered places with scores of around 130+ in each paper. Two years ago I had a lad who scored two 129s and he went to Pate's. This year, one of my girls scored 130 and 119 and she has been told that she passed comfortably and her marks are in the top third of those who have received offers.

The headteacher of the school has since said that this year's test was 'the hardest one set in the last 25 years'. The LEA is obviously keen to sort the men out from the boys! The test clearly was tough this year as not all the grammars in Glos. are able to fill their places as they would like and scores have needed to have been adjusted in such a way as to provide children with enough marks to appear to have fulfilled the criterion of scoring highly enough to have 'passed' the test.

There is consultation this month with a view to getting preference forms submitted by Dec. 7th 2007. The idea is that children will know how they have performed in their 11+ before the forms go in. This would obviously be a popular change. It remains to be seen if the exams will be brought forward.

The LEA has also got rid of the 'first preference first' idea. This means that the order in which you put your four selections will no longer matter. The LEA will not tell the schools you have selected in which positions you have placed them. This will mean far less head scratching and anxiety for parents regarding exactly where each school should/should not go on the form.

What would be really helpful though, is for the LEA to make their minds up, once and for all, on exactly where they want to go with the 11+. Then they must stick with it for a few years at least, instead of messing around with things all the time. Nobody in Glos. has been able to relax, safe in the knowledge that no dramatic change is on the horizon, for years. It's no different now and it's time that changed.

Orson
cheltmum

pates

Post by cheltmum »

Can anyone let me know where I can find a tutor to prepare my child for the grammar school test
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Cheltmum,
There are a few tutors in the find a tutor part of this website that tutor for Gloucestershire.It is against forum rules for anybody to advertise on here though,

I got my son's tutor on recommendation from another parent,he only works in Gloucester,ask around your primary to see if anybody can recommend one-alternatively I think there are a few in the Yellow Pages,although without recommendation it might be difficult.

Regards,
Glosmum
cheltmum

Post by cheltmum »

Hi Gloucestermum
We would be happy to come to Gloucester. Could you let me know where you found your tutors details. I dont know anyone who is even thinking of doing the grammar school test
Thanks
gloucestermum wrote:Hi Cheltmum,
There are a few tutors in the find a tutor part of this website that tutor for Gloucestershire.It is against forum rules for anybody to advertise on here though,

I got my son's tutor on recommendation from another parent,he only works in Gloucester,ask around your primary to see if anybody can recommend one-alternatively I think there are a few in the Yellow Pages,although without recommendation it might be difficult.

Regards,
Glosmum
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Cheltmum
I have recommended our tutor to a few friends but he is so full he cannot take any more for this years test!
However 2 people I work with used tutors in Cheltenham so I will ask them for names etc.If you want to PM me I can then email you directly at home!

Glosmum
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Forgot to say you will need to register to PM me!

Glosmum
cheltmum

Post by cheltmum »

Hi glosmum
I ahve registered and PMed you but haven't done this before so not sure whether you got the message.

[quote="gloucestermum"]Forgot to say you will need to register to PM me!

Glosmum[/quote]
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I have pm you!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now