CHANGE OF ADMISSION POLICY SEPT 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gloucestermum

CHANGE OF ADMISSION POLICY SEPT 2008

Post by gloucestermum »

Hello,
Has anybody heard any news re the proposed changes to the Gloucestershire grammar schools admissions policy for Sept 2008? Apparently they aim to change the date of the test so that parents know the results before they fill in their application form to the local authority.This would obviously be great news,but we need to know for time restraints with tutoring and practice papers etc! Any news gratefully received!
Thank you.

Re: CHANGE OF ADMISSION POLICY SEPT 2008

Post by Guest »

gloucestermum wrote:Hello,
Has anybody heard any news re the proposed changes to the Gloucestershire grammar schools admissions policy for Sept 2008? Apparently they aim to change the date of the test so that parents know the results before they fill in their application form to the local authority.This would obviously be great news,but we need to know for time restraints with tutoring and practice papers etc! Any news gratefully received!
Thank you.
capers123

Re: CHANGE OF ADMISSION POLICY SEPT 2008

Post by capers123 »

It's good news, and bad. Exams still in November, results out 2 weeks later - so far so good.

You'll be told if your child has reached the pass mark for the school - but that doesn't mean they will get a place. Intake of 150, 180 reach pass mark - lowest 30 don't get in.

But at least it gives you a chance to make a semi-informed choice before filling in your preferences form. I approve of it as a parent.
Capers
Piper

Post by Piper »

Surely there is no reason why the standardisation process cannot provide the exact number of places for each school. So that exactly the correct number of pupils can be given places. If any drop out the next best score gets in.

It probably will be better once the detail is sorted out. My concern is how much of the detail you will be given.

Will you be told your mark? Unless you know how well your child did the system is only marginally better than the old.
Orson

Admissions 2008

Post by Orson »

Piper

Of course you'll get the mark! How else would you know how well your child had done and, therefore, be able to make a decision on which schools to go for?

If your preference form isn't due in until two weeks after the results are released what else are they likely to be telling you other than your child's score?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Piper

Standardising doesn't mean that - it tries to ensure the 11+ qualifying mark is not dependent on how easy the paper was.

It would be impossible to match to number of places - what about people moving into the area?
Piper

Post by Piper »

Orson. I hope so too. I shall wait until the detail given is clear.

Guest55. That it what I thought until this year!

The problem is, as Gloucester parents have found out this year, the VRQ score is not absolute. Same test, same marking; I have heard of a VRQ up to 28 points different depending on which school cohort you are compared with.

School A raw score 72/85 VRQ 105

School B raw score 64/85 VRQ 105

SAME TEST!

Have I really failed to understand the system? Help!
capers123

Re: Admissions 2008

Post by capers123 »

Orson wrote:Of course you'll get the mark! How else would you know how well your child had done and, therefore, be able to make a decision on which schools to go for?
I was thinking that they might only tell you if you have 'passed' rather than the score. But then each school has a different pass mark. I suppose they could tell you if you've passed for each school you've ticked on the application form.

I also wonder if appeals will then be split - 1 for failing to pass exam, another later in the year for passing but failing to get into the school 'cause it's full.

The reason they have a pass mark rather than just a yes/no, is in case they don't get enough children getting the pass mark - they would only be obliged to take those over it, even if that meant less places filled at the school.
Capers
Jed

Post by Jed »

I have heard of a VRQ up to 28 points different depending on which school cohort you are compared with.
Yes, that is possible. Standardised score = your performance compared to average of cohort. So if cohort is different, so will your standardised score be, even if it is the same test and the same raw mark.

Jed
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If the test is administered by the LA the standardising will take account of all schools - were these pupils the same age? The child's age is also factored in.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now