SHS Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Re: SHS Waiting List

Post by capers123 »

hopefulandstressed wrote:Sense of relief once appeal is done is major - there is light at the end of the tunnel for us all :lol: Hoping that we could hear Friday? or is that very optimistic that 28 letters will get written and posted Wed/Thurs? It'll either be a great weekend, or a nightmare. Either way feel large amount of wine in the equation!
The Clerks tend to say '5 working days', but they do aim to get the letters out as soon as possible, not only because they know that all the children & parents are on tenterhooks, but also because they've probably got more appeals starting a few days later. On this basis, I would expect you to get the letters by the weekend.

For those of you who do win your SHS appeals, theres an Induction Evening on Thursday 23rd, 6 - 8:30pm for parents (not children). The class lists should be available that evening, you'll have a formal talk then another chance to look round the school - there may be Y7's showing off activities in different classrooms. We went 2 years ago, but have both dropped out of a concert so we can go again this time, so hopefully see you there (if you know what I look like, which is pretty unlikely).

The girls get to go in for an Induction day in July.
Capers
crazybutsmiling

Post by crazybutsmiling »

Capers do they have several inductions days? I think the date I heard was same day am my daughters class have their yr6 week away.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

crazybutsmiling wrote:Capers do they have several inductions days? I think the date I heard was same day am my daughters class have their yr6 week away.
No, it's just the one day on 1st July. If they had several days then the new tutor groups wouldn't be able to get together as a whole & bond. There's lots of taster lessons laid on, team building games.

I have heard of children coming back for the day from primary school weeks away. Obviously it's a hassle for the parents to fix up the transport.

Let's hope that you have to make the choice on this one :D
Capers
crazybutsmiling

Post by crazybutsmiling »

Yes lets hope i will be worrying about it :lol:
Thankfully though DD's trip is following week
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

Well, that's me done :) I'm feeling quite peaceful now. And I was really impressed with the panel and the chair of governors because they made it look as though they were asking and answering questions as if it were the first time.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

rollercoaster wrote:And I was really impressed with the panel and the chair of governors because they made it look as though they were asking and answering questions as if it were the first time.
There's a myth that we have to ask the same questions every time. Some we do tend to, especially of the school side, as they are questions which each set of parents need to hear the answers to (such as how many children were on roll at the start of the term for the last 5 years, followed by questions about how having that many has affected the pupils), though sometimes the parents have already asked before we get our chance.

But when it gets to the childs case, each appeal is different, so whilst there may be the odd 'filler' question that we use, most questions will be unique to that case.

I do know of 'school side' representitives who cross the table and become panel members for other schools (obviously ones that have no conflict of interest with their own school), assuming that they're suitably qualified (ie - it's legal for them to do so according to the appeals regs). Other panel members are parents who first went to an appeal as a parent - irrespective of winning or loosing their own appeal. Personally, I've never appealed (yep, totally unappealing), but did write one for one primary (which I withdrew as we were offered an equally acceptable one) and I also wrote most of one for SHS for this year, just in case it was needed (phew), so I'm kind of experienced as a parent.

There's a bit of a Big Hint there to you all - new panel members are always needed, both by the grammars and by Glos CC (Democratic Services Unit, not the LEA) for some secondaries & many primaries. It's interesting work, but somewhat underpaid. Totally underpaid. Zero pay, though you might get a free lunch & car park / petrol paid. It is often quite emotionally draining work, even harrowing, when it comes to decision time on the last day.
Capers
hopefulandstressed

Post by hopefulandstressed »

So do we think the our daughters' future has already been decided by now then?

Rollercoaster - glad to hear it went well. It's going to be a long few days waiting ....
capers123

Post by capers123 »

hopefulandstressed wrote:So do we think the our daughters' future has already been decided by now then?
If today was the last day, then probably. That is, depending on the time of the last appeal today. Sometimes panels might have to come back on a following day to deliberate if there have been a lot of appeals, or it could go on into the evening. But don't worry - The Bear does a a nice Cream Tea.

Anyway, now it's over, you can all talk freely about the appeals as you're no longer in competition with each other (let alone the school).
Capers
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

hopefulandstressed wrote:So do we think the our daughters' future has already been decided by now then?
I would think the decisions are made. I think we were last but one to appeal and we were away by 2.45pm.
capers123 wrote:The Bear does a a nice Cream Tea.
I think 'The Bear' wasn't at it's best. Still, it will be nice to see it when the renovations are complete.
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

It's a yes for us. :D