Advice please re. 11+ test & medical condition

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glparent

Advice please re. 11+ test & medical condition

Post by Glparent »

I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'd be very grateful for any advice from others.

At the point of registering for 11+ is it necessary/advisable/prudent to disclose DC's existing (albeit slightly unpredictable) medical condition? And if so, how on earth do I do that? Who do I contact etc etc?

I've searched the forum, and have found plenty of references to existing conditions and evidence for appeals, but that feels rather 'after the event'. DC may be quite disadvantaged on the day if things flare up, losing valuable focus & time by needing to leave the room (not to mention possible disturbance for others too), so I was wondering if there are any notification procedures in Glos to deal with such a situation.

Any help gratefully received. Many thanks.
livviloo

Re: Advice please re. 11+ test & medical condition

Post by livviloo »

I will pm you
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Livviloo - many thanks!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Glparent wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'd be very grateful for any advice from others.

At the point of registering for 11+ is it necessary/advisable/prudent to disclose DC's existing (albeit slightly unpredictable) medical condition? And if so, how on earth do I do that? Who do I contact etc etc?

I've searched the forum, and have found plenty of references to existing conditions and evidence for appeals, but that feels rather 'after the event'. DC may be quite disadvantaged on the day if things flare up, losing valuable focus & time by needing to leave the room (not to mention possible disturbance for others too), so I was wondering if there are any notification procedures in Glos to deal with such a .
If it's a Statemented problem or the likes of dyslexia, you may get extra time. If it's an illness that might flare up (but might not), then you wouldn't get extra time on the day.

If the latter, and the child has a flare-up on 11+ day, then phone in sick and take a few days later. If the flare-up happens during the exam, go to the doctors afterwards and get medical evidence. Only an appeals panel can take that into account, but we do like good, solid evidence.

You would be advised to tell the school your child is sitting the test at well in advance of the test - when you register if poss. Have a chat to the nice admissions person. They will help if they can, as the school wants bright pupils, even if they are a bit sicky from time to time.
Capers
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Many thanks Capers for info. I'll get in contact with the school and see what they suggest.

(Takes another deep breath ..... this 11+ thing doesn't get any easier 2nd time around :( )