Crypt place, anyone from Cheltenham taking up offer?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
myangelpie

Crypt place, anyone from Cheltenham taking up offer?

Post by myangelpie »

Crypt...anyone from Cheltenham? Our son has got the magic letter today, keen to know of anyone else taking up a place? so chuffed I could burst, he was desperate to go and now his wish has come true. really interested in speaking to as many parents as possible so that we can share knowledge of buses, car shares etc. Good luck to everyone today, one day early, what a bonus!
platypus

Re: Crypt place, anyone from Cheltenham taking up offer?

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

you too. Keen to meet with as many parents from Cheltenham, so that boys have the chance to meet some local boys too. They are bound to make all new friends, but nice to turn up knowing a few already.
What a day.....soooo excited.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Congratulations myangelpie and platypus!

My DS is in yr 9 at Crypt-if you have any questions feel free to fire away.......

When I see the Cheltenham bus there always seems to be lots of boys on it,so very popular service.

GM
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

Thanks GM. we are Prestbury Road side of town. i've heard the bus picks up Racecourse 7.20am!! OMG he's just about waking up at that time! (we have a few months to get him adjusted to earlier mornings now).

GM we've heard great things about Crypt, cant wait for him to start. He's so excited today and we are £200 down on a PS3 purchase as a way of 'well done son'.

Would love to know about the school laptop purchase and any other newbie advice you can share.

Any other new Cheltenham Crypts boys, do drop me a line.

thanks in advance. :D
Thrilledtobits

Post by Thrilledtobits »

Hi, yes our DS2 will be taking his place at Crypt, we're all over the moon! It will be an early start but it's not too bad from Cheltenham.
Is it just my imagination, or do more and more people from Cheltenham seem to be considering Crypt now? Have to admit that we didn't bother with DS1, we thought it was too far so didn't look around or look into it. Since then we have met or come across several people with boys at Crypt and they all absolutely LOVE it and thrive there. The boys themselves positively rave about it. Our DS1 likes Tommies, and it's a great school, but in all honesty I wish we'd considered Crypt for him. DS2 is slightly more academic but we thought the pastoral care at Crypt was second to none. At the end of the day, we are just so lucky to have these schools available in Gloucestershire. People travelled from way out of county to get to my old grammar school, so a bus to Gloucester from Chelt is peanuts, to my mind.
Oh dear, now I'm rambling as I'm just so happy!! Well done everyone!
:D
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Well done to you Thrilledtobits too!!

The laptop scheme was introduced a few years before DS started-think he was the 3rd year.The school invited us along to a presentation evening where they told us what they thought the advantages were of all the boys in yr7 having a laptop.I imagine that the cost would be an issue to some parents,and understandably so.the school said that if this was the case then parents were to contact them in confidence for a chat.The cost per month was then £20,over 3 years,but I know this has come down since then(maybe £16 now??).If parents couldn't afford the full £20 they were invited to make a "contribution" that they felt they could afford.
At the end of the 3 years the boys keep the laptop.
All upkeep,repairs etc are fully covered by insurance.
We had a few teething problems getting to grips with it all,they had a booklet given to them with hints and tips,To be honest I would class myself as fairly IT literate but even I struggled at first to set it all up!

I would say that in yr 7 DS used the laptop every day-less so in yrs 8 and 9.They are encouraged to do their homework on it,and teachers send them regular emails with work attached.The downside of DS' laptop was the screen size-only a mini 9 inches,so I didn't encourage him to do homework on it and to use the PC at home.They have touch typing lessons at school.

Think that covers it-although things may have changed over the last few years!

You will be having a rather large envelope arriving from the school soon-lost of paperwork and invitations to the laptop evening etc.There is also a uniform day,usually on a Sunday in July where the uniform shop opens to purchase blazers,ties,rugby and sports kit.There will be an embroidery lady there who will(for a fee!) embroider your DS name onto his rugby top and shorts.The school "encourage" this to happen.

Oh this has brought back memories writing this message-we are off to options evening tomorrow,how time flies :lol:
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

Yes well done to everyone who's got a GS place. Our house is buzzing tonight, I am just so chuffed, he had tears of joy today after reading the letter, it meant so much to him and that makes it all the more special. Good luck to all those on countdown for letters/emails and especially all those who will be waiting for all the 'movement' over the coming weeks.

We called into see his tutor tonight she did really well with 14 into Pates alone!! (she's waiting for all the phone calls in for her final numbers) our son did around 10 weeks with her as we left it rather late as had no experience of the whole GS thing. We cant thank her enough, Mrs D thank you ***
Milla

Post by Milla »

(mine are now Y7 and Y9, but we had Mrs D, too - a few of us on here did. What a sweetie! Tho Mr D scared me... :D )
Hope your sons all get on really well. There's nothing like the buzz of "that letter," is there? Personally (mine are Tommy's and Pate's) it was such a relief to be shot of primary school and we've not looked back really. 2 of our friends are on the teaching staff at the Crypt and I REALLY wish they'd transfer to Tommy's. Grrr!)
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

2 of our friends are on the teaching staff at the Crypt and I REALLY wish they'd transfer to Tommy's. Grrr!)
Now now Milla-no poaching please :wink: