SOS we have 6 days to prepare for Pates late test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
3pink

SOS we have 6 days to prepare for Pates late test

Post by 3pink »

we are relocating and I would really like DD to go to a grammar, don't mind if it's Pates or HSFG, she is sitting Pates on 19th and they will share the results with HSFG.
Which papers shall I rush out and buy ?
Any tips ?
She passed the Wirral 11+ with 236 - 236 was required so it might be better this time around as she admits she ran out of time.
Would be very very grateful for any advice please ?
pixiequeen

Re: SOS we have 6 days to prepare for Pates late test

Post by pixiequeen »

At the very least, she needs to do the Official GL Assessment papers - pack of 4 multiple choice verbal reasoning. You should be able to buy them in WH Smiths, if you are desperate, HSFG were selling them at their open day last year so they might sell you a pack.

The GL Assessment papers are relatively easy, but the most like the actual test. If you are able to get hold of some in time, it might be worth giving her either Susan Daughtrey's Bright Sparks (again multiple choice VR) or Barbara Walsh's VR papers.

Timing is crucial - tell your DD not to waste time on questions she can't immediately answer. She should guess, put a ring round them and come back to them at the end.

Type Z (reading information questions) should be guessed, a ring put round them and come back to them at the end.

Good Luck to your DD!
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Thank you very much, we are so keen for her to go to a grammar school, our appeal at Balcarras has been unsuccessful I will be a weekday widow for 2 years if she doesn't get through this so all tips and advice would be gratefully received.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Did you know you can download papers from this website? The ones you want are The Tutors full length level 3 multiple choice verbal reasoning papers. They are mid-range difficulty. There are also some short ones which are good for building up speed.

Might be worth checking your DD still knows her times tables inside out as there is a reasonable amount of maths in most of the papers.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure she goes in to her test with her confidence sky high (even if it means you telling fibs to her about how well she's done in her practice tests!) and with no idea of how much rests on her passing! :D
nbear

Post by nbear »

Just to say that HSFG has a pan of 116.
During the recent appeals I am told the school said that they would not be able to cope with more than 210!
This year they have 124 (8 won appeals),

This will make 31 per class, so any appeal will be very hard :(

I don't no the numbers for Pates.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

nbear wrote:Just to say that HSFG has a pan of 116.
During the recent appeals I am told the school said that they would not be able to cope with more than 210!

Do you mean 110 ?

If they've taken 8 more then my DD won't make any difference at all, they can't argue they can't cope and then allow another 8 in.
HSFG would be my prefered school though having had a proper look through the website, we've a place at Cheltenham College though if it goes pear shaped, I just fancied saving myself £50k lol
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 has said that there were 31 in his house at Pate's on the induction. My fingers are crossed for you.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

turtleglos wrote:Ds1 has said that there were 31 in his house at Pate's on the induction. My fingers are crossed for you.
Thank you
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

3pink wrote:
nbear wrote:Just to say that HSFG has a pan of 116.

Do you mean 110 ?

If they've taken 8 more then my DD won't make any difference at all, they can't argue they can't cope and then allow another 8 in.
HSFG would be my prefered school though having had a proper look through the website, we've a place at Cheltenham College though if it goes pear shaped, I just fancied saving myself £50k lol
a strange set of posts as you say you want a Grammar yet have been refused to Balcarras which isn't and 50K very cheap for the college?
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Well no not really, we just want a decent school for our child, the grammars of course are first choice followed by Balcarras then she has has a scholarship at CC. Hope that helps.