Exercise books sent on to Secondary School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

Exercise books sent on to Secondary School

Post by pixiequeen »

When my DD brought all her books home at the end of the year, her literacy book was missing. When I asked where it was she said the teacher had kept it to send on to her new school (Stroud High). DD seems to think the teacher kept everyones literacy books and possibly their maths books too to send on. Is this normal? Surely the school are not going to read through 120 sets of maths and literacy books and use them to set the children are they? I was disappointed because I was looking forward to reading DD's literacy work from this year.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be grateful! Wondered if it was just a cover-up because school have lost DD's books or something!
Sabanna

Re: Exercise books sent on to Secondary School

Post by Sabanna »

My dd has all of her books, but when I asked her she did say that the school had photocopied some of them (and other students) so that they could use them as examples for future classes.
Gypsypony

Post by Gypsypony »

My DD has just finished Yr 7 at SHS, she's pretty sure that her Yr 6 literacy book is somewhere upstairs in the chaos of her room! I'd think it highly unlikely they'd send anything on to the next school, they have enough to sort out before the next school year starts.

They're not put in sets, just their form groups in Yr 7, then Yr 8 into "learning groups" which, as I understand it, they can choose to be with a few of their friends.
These groups are then mixed with other forms, they still obviously meet for registration am & pm with their own form group.

In Yr 9 they're streamed into 5 sets, according to how well they've done in the end of Yr 8 tests, set 1 being the highest.

(just been informed that DD didn't get to choose the friends she'd like to be with and she won't know who's in her teaching group until the first day back!)
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you for your replies. Sabanna, I wondered if this is what has happened to DD's book - I still have other children at the school so perhaps they are intending to send the book home when they have finished with it. Over the last year my DD has turned from being an organised and reliable child into one that forgets to pass on vital messages, forgets to hand in her homework and keeps half a used rainforest in her book bag, so chances are she only heard half the message about the literacy book and invented the rest :roll:

Gypsypony, thank you for the info. No where in all the bumpf I've had from SHS does it explain how the children are streamed/setted. So am I right in saying that they are not setted at all even for maths/literacy until year 9? And then in year 9 can they be in for example Stream 1 for Maths, but Stream 5 for Literacy, or is it the same Stream for all subjects? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I don't know anyone with an older child at SHS that I can ask.

Thank you

Pixiequeen
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now