CAT scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stressed?Moi?

CAT scores

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Something's been bugging me and I wonder if anyone can help please.

In my daughter's parents' evening in December last year, her teacher said that she was bright, good at English, methodical but slow and would be suited to the arts rather than being academical. We asked if she would pass the 11+, to which she said that she probably wouldn't.

Fast forward to her parents' evening last Easter and her teacher reported a major turnaround in her work and attitude. She said that she thought she was capable of passing the test and that she should try for it.

When we received her report on the last day there was no mention at all of how well she is doing (relative to others) apart from the general report (which was very good). I had hoped there would be some sort of formal assessment (she's at an independent school and doesn't do SATs, but I know she has had completed some tests there). I had read that you can request CAT scores. I telephoned the school who were a bit sniffy TBH and said that they don't do CATs until Year 6 and there is no other indicative "ranking" on her ability. I was hoping that we would have an indication of her overal ability, but there was none.

Is this the case at most schools, or are we just unlucky?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: CAT scores

Post by scary mum »

Sounds strange to me - most schools these days are testing, testing, testing (too much usually, but at least you have something to look at), but I don't know about indies. Does the school carry on until 18? Maybe they are trying to keep you there and paying the fees :twisted: . Why don't you get some practice papers and see how she does?
scary mum
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

scary mum wrote:Sounds strange to me - most schools these days are testing, testing, testing (too much usually, but at least you have something to look at), but I don't know about indies. Does the school carry on until 18? Maybe they are trying to keep you there and paying the fees :twisted: . Why don't you get some practice papers and see how she does?
The cynic in me would have thought the same as you but no it's primary only. I posted on here earlier about papers, so I'll have a look at those. Thanks
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Is your DD just about to go into Y6 or Y5? State primaries do the CATs in Y5. If your DD has finished Y5 and is about to start Y6 then you need to work fast for upcoming 11+ tests. Here they are at the beginning of Oct. If your DD is about to go into Y5 then you have plenty of time to prepare but you could try an easier type paper with her. Walsh has one for age 9-10 and there are lots of VR books. See how she gets along with those and check her x tables are up to speed.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Hi Mum23

Yes she starts Y6 in September and time is marching on. As has been suggested, I've ordered up some practice material which she will be cracking on with. Fingers crossed that it's not too late and that she can pass with what she's got. Other than that, our local comp is very good so I'm not going to get too worked up about it (if I say it often enough, I might believe it!!). We are, however, up against it times tables wise as she hits hurdles on 6 and 7 each time (just like me actually).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now