Sudden dip in scores.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Glos_Mum

Sudden dip in scores.

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bemily

Re: Sudden dip in scores.

Post by Bemily »

We do:

Talking about the words on the vocal list on here

Dd copies out compound words, again from this site

Dd plays free rice
cairo

Post by cairo »

Was the paper from the new NFER/GL pack? My DS2 also had a dip in scores straight after returning from holiday and like you I panicked a bit, but have since heard that these newer NFER papers are felt to be harder than the old ones, so a reduction in scores isn't particularly surprising.

I would use it as an opportunity to discuss with him the fact that he will most likely find the real papers difficult and not to panic - just keep going etc. He shouldn't expect to score 99% on the day! He doesn't need to.

I've decided not to do any more papers with my DS2 now. He's probably done about 12, and if that's not enough, then so be it. Like Bemily, I will let him "play" on freerice a few times a week and probably won't be able to resist discussing vocab from time to time :oops: , but certainly nothing too taxing.

Chin up - almost there!
crazybutsmiling

Post by crazybutsmiling »

GLOS-MUM It's probably a good thing to get the cold out the way now, also at least he's had experience doing a test not feeling 100%, just keep boosting his confidence now. Remind him if he finds the test hard so will every other kid in the exam. I would also work on skills to keep him calm on the day, as this is as important now as any odd vocab he may struggle with at this point. I am sure he is well prepared, better to panic now than in the test. Maybe discuss what to do should he feel that way in the test.
Good luck, I remember this time well, and am already dreading doing it again in 3 years!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

Glad to hear the new GL papers are harder - dd has been doing them and struggling a bit. Getting so stressed now but dd is coping OK with little and often some nights and a compltee break otehrs.

I will have to go through all this again next year with ds so NOT happy to hear it is more stressful second time around!!!

The hints and tips are really helpful and we are focusing on staying calm and not getting distracted etc.

Cannot wait for it all to be over .....
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Does anyone know if the pack 2 GL papers are equivalent to the "harder" of the two exams on the day please.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Well of course none of us can know for sure, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if they were. The second paper is written by GL specifically for the Glos exam each year and it always used to be the case that children who had done the old pack of 4 GL/NFER practice papers would come out of the exam saying the 2nd paper was SO much harder than anything they'd ever seen before. Not different in style, just harder in degree.

So perhaps GL has released these new papers so children can have some experience of the level to expect in the 2nd paper? I suppose they might even be real exam papers that they have used in the past and won't use again.

DS1 just scraped over the pass mark at Tommies with a score of mid 80%s in the first paper and mid 70%s in the second: so they don't need to be scoring in the 90%s unless you are aiming for Pates I would say.

Yes - hate to say this, but it is definitely harder second time round! Purely because DS2 is desperate to join bigger brother at the same school. I think we will all be delighted once it's over. I predict:

(1) Lots of 10/11 year olds throughout Gloucestershire being taken for meals out as a treat straight after the exam. Restaurants will be heaving.
(2) A surprising number of bonfires on 9 October as parents gleefully set fire to piles of 11+ prep (now referred to as "rubbish").
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

cairo wrote:The second paper is written by GL specifically for the Glos exam each year and it always used to be the case that children who had done the old pack of 4 GL/NFER practice papers would come out of the exam saying the 2nd paper was SO much harder than anything they'd ever seen before. Not different in style, just harder in degree.

So perhaps GL has released these new papers so children can have some experience of the level to expect in the 2nd paper? I suppose they might even be real exam papers that they have used in the past and won't use again.

That makes sense actually doesn't it? It isn't in anyones best interests to spring something on children when they aren't prepared for it. I suppose you could argue that they should be able to adapt to answer them, but that's pretty tough when you are 10.5

DS1 just scraped over the pass mark at Tommies with a score of mid 80%s in the first paper and mid 70%s in the second: so they don't need to be scoring in the 90%s unless you are aiming for Pates I would say.

Really pleased he was able to get into Tommies.

(1) Lots of 10/11 year olds throughout Gloucestershire being taken for meals out as a treat straight after the exam. Restaurants will be heaving.

Yep, not decided what treat to give, but will definately be doing something. After all the effort, it's the least we can do.

(2) A surprising number of bonfires on 9 October as parents gleefully set fire to piles of 11+ prep (now referred to as "rubbish").
I'm lucky as I have a friend I can pass them on to.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now