Practice papers.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dixon

Practice papers.

Post by Dixon »

I've got a year before DS does 11+ and am looking at all the different papers on offer. Some good advice on here and will be getting Tutors level 3, Bond and already have the Letts. I have heard that the GL papers are the same as Letts. Is this correct or should I get them both? Any other papers that others would recommend would be appreciated.

Good luck to all on Saturday. I'm already feeling the pressure to ensure that all necessary preperation is done. Only just over 52 weeks to go! :lol:
Tolstoy

Re: Practice papers.

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi and welcome,

I have another year before I have to start prep-ping my next one. The Tutors and Letts are appropriate but the Bond isn't. It would be better to invest in some Susan Daughtry multiple choice papers.

There are old and new Letts papers. The old versions are the same for both. I have a feeling there may be separate versions for the new ones but Mitasol and Patricia will give you better advice than I can on those.

Tolstoy
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Hello Dixon

I have been meaning to reply but with the test today have been rather pre-occupied! Welcome and good luck with your preparation for next year. You will find lots of help and support on the forum.

I have DIYed three times with my children and I have used IPS (30 min papers so good to start with) and AFN - Plenty of these for practice and not too hard. I also have 3 Walsh books, Bright Sparks (I only have bk 2 for some reason. I think I couldn't get the first one) and finally the old and new Letts (the new ones are harder - some questions are really tough but worth doing towards the end of your prep). This year I have been buying the downloadable short Tutors papers at Level 3 and Level 4 too. I have also in the past used the daily 10 questions which is IPS I think. Oh yes and we also downloaded the tests from the Pates website and DS did these. His 11+ file is massive! and boy am I relieved we are done, just the wait for results to go!

The maths games (links are on the forum) and freerice are good and "synonym toast" game. Make sure tables are quick and make some cards for vocab and close in meaning/opposite in meaning. Occasionally ask/explain words that come up in your Ds reading book.

I don't know what school you are aiming for but my DS did one 6 week block of the Tommies prep which was good for familiarising him with the school. He probably didn't learn any more about VR than with me but they did give out vocab lists each week to learn the spelling and meaning which were tested the following week. Some people there did do all the blocks which ran right up to the test date. The lessons cost £90 for 6 lessons and girls can do them too.

Just keep it steady and you will get there. You have plenty of time. Hope that helps.
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

Many thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and get as much from all of you this week as I'm sure alot of you will be gone in the next couple of weeks.(never to return!)

I'm intrigued to know why the Bond papers are not recommended? We have used the Bond 'How to' to go through the 21 different types of questions as a starter before moving onto some questions. We have now some of the Tutors downloaded as well. There seems to be so many on the market I just want to be buying the best ones for the Gloucestershire test.

DS hoping for Marling as we live in the Stroud area. I hadn't heard about the STR practice sessions which I will look into. Does anyone know if Marling do this?

Interesting to read all your comments since the exam, am dreading this time next year already! :shock:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Dixon wrote:DS hoping for Marling as we live in the Stroud area. I hadn't heard about the STR practice sessions which I will look into. Does anyone know if Marling do this?
Not that I've heard of - and it would be odd especially as the schools all say that 'no preparation is needed to take the test'. But there's nothing stopping them doing so in the future.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now