How many sat the test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rob-gloucester

Re: How many sat the test?

Post by rob-gloucester »

Ribston had tables that went up to N/O which was two groups at the same table in the hall.

There were around 15 children in my DD's group but couldn't say if this was typical.

I would guesstimate around 200 children. The crowd outside at pick up time wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

Maybe a lot registered for Pates but did not turn up? A boy at DD's school did that - not sure why and no point in disucssing with his parents now :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aargh

Post by aargh »

:idea: This is the first year for the new online registration system. Most of us tick for several Grams to share the results. Each of them will count any tickers in their applicants numbers, so we may all have got counted up to 4 times - therefore it would show as an vast increase :!:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

cairo wrote:If there were only 600 at Pates I can't see why the website says there was a "significant increase" in applicants this year. I thought they normally had 800+ sitting it there.
I suspect it's marketing. Pate's likes to talk itself up to get as many high scoring pupils as possible - but many decide that they will do just as well at their local grammar, and without the travelling. I've also heard of a child who started at a local grammar, but after two or three weeks Pate's rang to ask if they were interested in a place. Mum has decided to ship kid half way across the county each day (no bus from where she lives) and buy a new uniform! Implies that some children didn't turn up at the start of term, because not even Pate's can take over PAN without an appeal.
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I don't think the e registration will have made any difference to the sharing of scores. Even with the old system people would tick more than one box to keep their options open.

That's interesting Capers as I should imagine even with children not taking up their places most of the Grammars still end up over PAN. I suppose the private/ state dilemma has a greater effect with people opting to go private last minute.
tigger

Post by tigger »

It was a student from overseas that did not take up the Pates place.
aargh

Post by aargh »

With the estimated 1700 takers of the test, there would be places for about half our DCs across all the Grams if the preferences landed in the right directions. :?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

As most of the Grammar schools are over PAN after appeals one overseas student not taking up a place shouldn't really make a difference Tigger as they can't offer that place to a waiting list until they go under their PAN. Either there were no successful appeals or they lost more than one prospective pupil.
rob-gloucester

Post by rob-gloucester »

aargh wrote:With the estimated 1700 takers of the test, there would be places for about half our DCs across all the Grams if the preferences landed in the right directions. :?

I like those odds!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now