So, now it's time to just wait and see...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stressedoutmummy

So, now it's time to just wait and see...

Post by stressedoutmummy »

I completed the application form last night (keen, aren't I?) and because I am in this dreaded "twilight zone" about my first choice, I was plagued by doubt. Eventually I just simply put my first choice first and my second choice second. I know that sounds simple enough, but I've been so worried about the low 218 score for HSFG and knew we were in better standing for Ribston. Thanks for all of the advice and help along the way guys, it has made so much difference. It's done now and though I can make changes, I won't. Roll on March!

Now I'm going to walk away from this little obsession of mine as there is nothing else that can be done. My husband has been worried about my emotional well-being and I was starting to agree with him. :lol:

I wish the best of luck to all of you and that includes anyone who may take a place at HSFG if we don't get in. Every one of our DCs have done so well. See everyone again Mid-February as I prepare to work myself up into a state again over the allocation day.
capers123

Re: So, now it's time to just wait and see...

Post by capers123 »

You did the right thing with the form. If you don't get the first choice, the second choice becomes your effective first choice with no 'penalty' - you don't get put further down the list because you'd put it second.

That kind of thing did used to happen, especially with some faith schools, but is now illegal, and does not happen (at least, in Gloucestershire).

Whichever your child gets, it'll be a good school :-)
Capers
stressedoutmummy

:D

I know the system is much fairer now, but I still hear people saying things like "if put as first choice", etc. If your second choice becomes your first choice without penalty, why are these things still going around. Even the Head at Ribston said that for the past three years, they haven't turned anyone away who has put Ribston as the first choice. Err, well, I didn't.
We want HSFG and have a fair chance with 218 (I hope) and do plan to appeal if we don't, but the whole process is slowly robbing me of my sanity. No one in my family understands why, which makes this all the more frustrating!!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

CAF done for my DS So two weeks off then start again with DD ready to do it all again in 2012 :o
capers123

Post by capers123 »

stressedoutmummy wrote:Even the Head at Ribston said that for the past three years, they haven't turned anyone away who has put Ribston as the first choice. Err, well, I didn't.
Ah, I suspect what she means is everyone whose first Effective choice was Ribston. If you put it as second choice, with Hsfg as 1st, and get a high enough score for HSFG, then, surprise, surprise, you won't get allocated Ribston. If you didn't get enough for HSFG, then Ribston becomes 1st choice and you get that.

That's not the same as saying "if you put Ribston second, then you'll be lower down the pecking order than if you put it first". for the last 3 years, I understand that Ribston has given a place to every child with a qualifying score who wanted a place.

This used to be a problem with St Peters, who insisted that they would ceonly consider children who put them as first choice. Some children who wanted a grammar but needed St Peters as a back up had to put it first, then got allocated it and not the grammar - which they then had to appeal,for despite having a high enough pass :shock:. That Does Not Happen now. If there was evenmamhint of it, I, as would many others would complain,to the Secretary of State, and my MP. It would also be an immediate automatic win at an appeal, as they school would not have followed the admissions guidelines.
Capers
stressedoutmummy

I am so pleased that the system has changed too. When my DD was first born, I had a friend who worked in one of the well known comps and she told me that they were instructed to THROW AWAY any applications that did not have that school as the first choice. It frightened the life out of me so much that I made sure we moved into the catchment of one of the best schools in the area.

How on earth could admin workers be given that kind of power over something so important? That was many years ago and I've only heard postive things about the new system. Also, since then this school has done a complete turnaround and try everything in their power to be fair in their admissions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now