Tommies v. Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cairo

Tommies v. Pates

Post by cairo »

Could I ask those of you with DCs in each to give me your views on differences between the two?

In particular - is there any difference in the pace of work / standard of work expected / amount of homework? DS1 copes well at Tommies and I'm sure DS2 would too. Trying to get my head round whether he would cope equally as well at Pates. Thanks!
BJOD

Re: Tommies v. Pates

Post by BJOD »

cairo, I have DS1 at Pates (Yr9) and DS2 at Tommies (Yr8)............
Remainder removed as obviously this is going to become a hot topic .....
Available by PM on request
Last edited by BJOD on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

Hi cairo, DS1 was at Tommies, albeit a while ago, and DS2 is at Pates (Year 11). The biggest difference I see between Pates and Tommies, is 'girls or no girls'. DS2 is thriving at Pates and his school life is enriched by the presence of girls. DS1 found an all-boys environment a bit unforgiving to be honest. But I know others love that environment.

Pates is such a well rounded place, if your DS has a qualifying score then he would cope. There is something for everyone and the pastoral care is very good.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics.

rollercoaster
lassett

Post by lassett »

Thank you for this thread. As someone in the same position of being able to choose between the two it is great to read personal experiences. Keep them coming please. :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

Hi, I have one at each, DS1 in y10 at STRS and DS2 in y8 at Pate's. I'm happy to send my thoughts by DM to anyway genuinely interested and with a son in the position of being able to choose between the 2, but hope that people understand that if I am to be genuine in a response, I would be happier if it were not a public forum! I want to be honest, present a meaningful comparison but would rather identification of my children were not made easier to fathom by what I say.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Would be very grateful to get your thoughts by PM, Milla. Especially on the pace of work / homework aspect I mentioned earlier. Thank you.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red

Post by Red »

Me too please... many thanks
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Milla, I think that you may need copy and paste for this one.....I think you might need to do a few replies! :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
bombdabah

Post by bombdabah »

Milla,
that is very kind of you to offer other parents assistance like this, your insight would be invaluable to them.

We decided on STRS in the end (my choice was for Pates but i was in a minority of one). This forum is the main source of my knowledge and there is such a big pates bias here, but can we hear some positives and re-assurance about STRS from parents please.