Stroud buses to Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cheltdad

Re: Stroud buses to Pates

Post by cheltdad »

FluffyCat wrote:Glos-mum/aargh - we can't afford it either. My head is firmly in the sand about that one for now. I guess I'll be doing a lot of ebaying or dropping heavy hints to well-off relatives! Lets hope Pates do a good line in secondhand uniform :lol:
I think its a real shame that the cost of the bus fare can stop someone going to Pates - have you spoke to the school about it to see if they can offer any options either financially or logistically?
aargh

Post by aargh »

unfortunately the school made it very clear to everyone on open day that transport arrangements are your own responsibility and the LEA will only fund you to your nearest school. I can understand it, they shouldn't be out of pocket just because we choose to send our DCs further than the nearest school.

For us I believe the Grandparental support should make Pate's feasible.

I was speaking to a friend today whose DD is in Y7. She says the DCs all love the bus and not to worry about the length of journey because they enjoy it so much.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Mini bus direct have been running a coach to Pates for 10 years and in my opinion offer a great service. Denwells were invited to quote for business last year and a small number of parents choose to move to them (they run a mini bus along the same route).

Mini bus direct were planning a Chalford/Bisley route before the numbers were split and are still keen to put the route on in the future if they can achieve the numbers.

I only have direct experience of mini bus direct and am very happy with the service they offer, they are open to different drop off and pick up points and having a personal relationship with the driver and his mobile number is definately a bonus!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

cheltdad wrote:
FluffyCat wrote:Glos-mum/aargh - we can't afford it either. My head is firmly in the sand about that one for now. I guess I'll be doing a lot of ebaying or dropping heavy hints to well-off relatives! Lets hope Pates do a good line in secondhand uniform :lol:
I think its a real shame that the cost of the bus fare can stop someone going to Pates - have you spoke to the school about it to see if they can offer any options either financially or logistically?
It's a sad fact that there are a number of children who can't even consider any Grammar school for exactly this reason. Many would be happy to go to their closest. It is also one of the reasons why poorly performing comprehensives will always have pupils despite so called parental choice.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Plus consider the time from a parent & traffic delays needs to be considered as well. I prefer the bus plus negotiate with the bus company and they should bring down the prices if you can pay one off yearly costs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now