Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SHS Twilighter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 am 

Hi - it's me again for a final call to all those who has a DD in Stroud High School top 120 but not looking to put it first on the CAF form...my DD scored 231 and is ranked 151 for SHS....

Please help me to stop worrying. I can't stop thinking about it. It would also be great if those who are ranked between 120 and 150 could respond if they are not looking to put SHS first...

Please respond - even if may be repetition...

Many thanks! Good luck to all!

Post subject: Re: SHS Twilighter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

If my DD was ranked 151 I would be celebrating.

I cannot, in a month of Sundays, think that she wouldn't get in. Our tutor told me that of the top 120, normally only 30 actually take their places and I know of one child last year who was placed around the 230s and still got in. Stop worrying, she'll be fine. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm 

...thanks for that - I think it's time for me to clam down...
& luck to you too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 pm 

sarajtb wrote:
If my DD was ranked 151 I would be celebrating.

I cannot, in a month of Sundays, think that she wouldn't get in. Our tutor told me that of the top 120, normally only 30 actually take their places and I know of one child last year who was placed around the 230s and still got in. Stop worrying, she'll be fine. :)

I'm not sure the tutor was quite right on that. It is, I think, usually more than 30 (or 25%) for Stroud. The tutor was probably using the logic that there are 4 schools a child can tick, that every one will tick all 4, that therefore only a quarter of those ticking for Stroud actually want a place there as their 1st choice and given that PAN for SHS is 120, that = 30 pupils...

The dynamics of tick boxes don't quite work like that, especially for the Stroud schools, as there are quite a few people who wouldn't consider Denmark Road, Ribston or Pates on grounds of distance. There are a LOT of girls there who attend from the local towns & villages. My gut feeling says that it's closer to 50% who take up their place.

Of the children below 120, quite a few will also not take up the place, as they've got a place at a more local grammar (or comp).

For Giraffe, though, I'm positive that 151 will get in. Just chill until March (and make sure you put SHS as number 1 choice on the CAF)!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:59 pm 

Giraffe

No offence intended but haven't you read all the other stuff posted on this forum regarding this subject? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm 

Orson wrote:
Giraffe

No offence intended but haven't you read all the other stuff posted on this forum regarding this subject? :roll:

Orson, Giraffe hasn't been on the forum very long and probably hasn't been able to find the answer they want. I find new forums a bit puzzling at first and sometimes put my foot in it.
They might be feeling a bit befuddled by the whole 11+ / CAF business at the mo. Anyway, the question has been answered by some helpful people and maybe there are even more people who wanted to know the answer but haven't dared ask.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:11 am 

Capers, the tutor told me about the fact that there are ever increasing amounts of people who come from far and wide to do the 11+ here whilst also taking it in several other areas. They will be ticking all boxes in all of the areas that their child takes the 11+ giving them much greater choice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:34 am 

Just going by the couple of years data it would appear that over 40% of girls qualified for SHS don't take their place.