Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 am 

Does anyone happen to know if the primary schools were told directly the 11+ scores/ rank for each grammar ticked on the registration box? If so, any idea when- was it at the same time we were?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:50 am 

All I know is that when my DS2 took it, the results came out on the Saturday and that day the primary had some sort of school fete. Went in. Head had heard the same morning as us - we'd had parents' evening the thursday before and had scanned the teacher's face for possible info leaks but none. In those days the results came out 2 weeks after the test, and still we all learnt the same day. Now the turn-around is less than a week. Maybe historically teachers knew in advance of us but I'd doubt it nowadays with such a quick release of results. However, am seeing the old school secretary tonight so if I remember I'll ask her if they know and if they know of rankings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:12 am 

We were told definately not, and on the Monday the teachers asked the kids what their results were.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:55 am 

In my LEA, the teachers certainly don't know in advance. I say this as a teacher!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:35 pm 

In Kent the Schools know before the parents, but that is because we have a system of headteacher review where school can submit evidence if they feel a child is suitable for grammar school

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 pm 

It used to be the case that the primary schools knew the results before / at the same time as parents. I think the idea was that Heads could then prepare themselves for parents' questions re the results.

Now that all the grammar schools in Gloucestershire are academies, I don't think they are given this information. Academies have no link with the local authority, so there would be no central point to distribute the information from. Certainly the Head at DS's school didn't know a couple of days after the results came out, and was in the playground asking parents how their DCs had got on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:13 pm 

They certainly don't know before, or at the same time as, the parents.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 am 

yup, my friend the school secretary confirmed this. That they used to know, but don't now. She said that they only knew what the parents choose to tell them - data protection or something. A shame she said as they want to offer "support" but don't have the information.
(edited for stupid typos)

Last edited by Milla on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 am 

Mmmm- interesting! Thanks everyone- that wasn't the impression the head at our school seemed to want to give which is why I wanted to check.... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:01 pm 

cairo wrote:
It used to be the case that the primary schools knew the results before / at the same time as parents. I think the idea was that Heads could then prepare themselves for parents' questions re the results.

Now that all the grammar schools in Gloucestershire are academies, I don't think they are given this information. Academies have no link with the local authority, so there would be no central point to distribute the information from. Certainly the Head at DS's school didn't know a couple of days after the results came out, and was in the playground asking parents how their DCs had got on.

How lovely thT he showed an interest, our dc's head wouldn't even care..