If you turn down your first choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bemily

If you turn down your first choice

Post by Bemily »

...will you get your second?
hermanmunster

Re: If you turn down your first choice

Post by hermanmunster »

no - you can can ask to be put on the waiting list for the second and / or appeal for the second
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

Irrespective of how you scored, if it's a grammar?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

regardless of scores ... have to remember that if your second place school is an oversubscribed grammar then it will be full on allocation day .. only places will come from waiting list or appeals.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

but you would be top of the waiting list if you have a score that would definitely have got you a place, so you are only waiting for 1 person to drop out of your second choice school.

Be warned though, sometimes there is very little movement after the first round of allocations.

I think also, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that you should accept your first choice, but tick on the form that goes back to the LEA that you wish to be reconsidered for your second choice, and then also ring your second choice and ask to be put on the waiting list. If you are not offered a place in the second round you could fill in the appeal forms...

hth

Pixiequeen
cairo

Post by cairo »

I think Pixiequeen's advice is sound: don't turn down the place offered or your DC may end up with no place anywhere. Accept it and then take all the steps necessary to have your DC considered for the school that's now your first choice (reconsideration / waiting list / appeal.)

What's underlying this question? Are you having a change of heart? If so, I would be inclined to ring the school you prefer now, rather than waiting till after March and getting their advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now