Sir Thomas Rich qualifying score in 2011 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
capers123

Re: Sir Thomas Rich qualifying score in 2011 test

Post by capers123 »

If the Feb (half/full) term holiday dates in Sussex are different to the Gloucestershire (13th to 17th), why not come up for an over-nighter with your son & book visits to all three schools? You could even consider doing so in term time (though his primary might bat an eyelid so close to SATs).

As I understand, all three schools have distinct characteristics & personalities. I've not been round any of the schools (other than going into music halls to do concerts when it's been hired by an outside group), so can't comment as to which would suit your son best.
Capers
ozziemum

Post by ozziemum »

Hi Capers

Yes, I am planning on visiting at half term - but same dates as my son's current school, so we will only be able to look at the schools from the road! and try to get a feel for the areas around etc. Maybe try to talk to any Mums/Dads we come across in playgrounds nearby.

I am also going to try to contact the schools about a visit on my own during term term but it will be difficult as I have a baby and no-one to babysit so will have to bring him with me to gloucestershire. Current school is not supportive of grammar schools ( and boycotted SATS 2 yrs ago) so I would have to be creative with a day off school.

You say all 3 schools have distinct characteristics & personalities. Would anyone be able to expand on this?
icechip

Post by icechip »

Hi,

You mentioned that your ds excels at swimming. Both Stroud and Gloucester have great swimming clubs, which he might be interested in. They also seem to attract a lot of GS DDs & DSs, and are great way of making new friends.

Can't comment on the boys GSs mentioned as have DDs, though both learnt to swim in the Tommie's pool which is quite good.
ozziemum

Post by ozziemum »

Thanks Icechip. Good to know there are great swimming clubs in both Gloucester and Stroud. DS is in a club presently and won backstroke in his age group so is keen to continue swimming. Do you know their names so I can look up their websites?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ozziemum, I have a son at STRS and another who will go (all being well on 1 March) in September. I could tell you all kinds of things about the school but it would only be my opinion; and I really feel that, baby and all (we do allow them into Gloucestershire, provided you alert the authorities first), you should take your son out of school and bring him up to have a look. We liked both Crypt and Tommies, and it was mainly a distance thing for us, though there were things about Tommies which we felt would suit our own sons better. I have friends with sons at Crypt and they love it - it is hard to find a bad word about either, though of course there will always be people with bad experiences of schools, and no school is perfect. I have no experience of Marling to be able to help you there, but I do know some of my Crypt friends chose it over Marling for various reasons.

Re the swimming, DS seems to swim a fair amount at Tommies - he is a swimmer too, though not as accomplished as your son. And he is not a soccer boy either, not even one tiny bit, but does seem to be enjoying sport a lot more than he did at primary school. Lots of boys seem to do their homework at lunchtimes, together, so he doesn't bring much home with him...and I gather that this is also the case at Crypt.

In short, they are both good schools and only you can decide. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want any more info.
icechip

Post by icechip »

The swim clubs are SevernSide Tritons and Gloucester City Swim Club (G.C.S.C)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

So when's your son going to be off sick (and so ill that you'll have to unplug the 'phone at home, so if anyone does ring, it'll not be answered) before making a miracle recovery the following day?

One thing to be considered is where you plan to live. I have heard appeals in the past where parents had moved to the area, and sent their child to a school further away because it happened to have a spare place (obviously not a Y6/7 transfer) rather than goe through the hassle of appealing for a place at the local school; then decided that the transport links were poor from their house, and that the child wasn't making local friends and so ended up appealling for the school closer to home.

Consider having a weekend up here, just to get the feel of the area & the housing market. Buy the local papers & take them home to peruse.

Off topic, there's plenty of local attractions suitable for taking smaller children to once your baby is older - Cattle Country at Berkeley has a great, huge, outdoor play area in the summer, Dick Whittington Park in the Forest is good for indoor play areas (spent many a 'happy' weekend afternoon there when desparate to occupy the children).
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

As you are having to move then you should be entitled to an authorized absence to visit schools. My children had a week off school before Christmas for this reason and their absences were allowed.

I have two at Tommies and both swim. They have house galas once a year and I believe they sometimes compete externally. That said I think they should make more use of the pool and it is one of the things my DS1 was pushing for at School council meetings this year. The newest parent governor expressed an interest in Competitive swimming when up for election so hopefully she will have some influence in the future.

I also know of parents who have opted to put children into Crypt over both Tommies and Pates, as Amber expressed it is an excellent school and very much on the up with the present head. In fact when we did our visits I was more impressed with the English department at Crypt than Tommies. Where Tommies excells is in the Mathematics department and regardless of how good or bad your son is at Maths they will get the best out of them.

Goodluck with the move and I am sure all will be well whichever school your son goes to. We live quite far from all the schools and it does mean lots of ferrying around with younger children in tow, not easy, so as Capers suggests I to recommend that you try to get the school nearest to your location or visa versa if you can.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

My son is in year 10 at Crypt. The school do not offer swimming that I can tell you!! I am sure the head Mr Standen would be only too pleased to show you around at your convenience.There is a lot of building work going on at the moment,which will finish about end of March,so the entrance to the school is quite a mess.When the work is finished the school will have a new driveway that doesn't endanger your car suspension,a new staff car park,new gym and new changing rooms.
If there is anything specific that you would like to know please ask-I could waffle on all evening :wink:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Back to the original question...
ozziemum wrote:Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows if my son has any chance at all of getting a place at STR. He managed a 210 which is the qualifying score. I know he won't get offered a place in March. Anyone know when a second or third or fourth round of offers is made? Do children offered places in March have a deadline to accept offer or could places be declined as late as September?? Anyone know the qualifying score for previous year and lowest score of any boy offered a place?
2011/12 Key dates ...
1st March - National Alloc Day
14 March - Closing date to return reply form accepting or requesting reconsideration
After 2nd April - Receive the outcome of any reconsideration
16th April - Closing date for return of reconsideration reply forms.

Hope that clarifies the matter.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now