Open Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lolomimi

Open Days

Post by lolomimi »

Hello everyone

I've just joined the forum having just arrived in Cheltenham from another part of the country due to DH's new job.

We have a daughter who is in yr 5. We're just getting our heads round the grammar school application process (it was only comps plus some new academies where we were before!!). I know that there's a huge amount of competition, and we're definitely not counting our chickens etc, but we do think it's worth her having a shot at the exam.

Being new to the area and not knowing the schools at all, it feels really important to be able to attend an Open Day to get a feel for the place(s), and, hopefully to inspire DD to begin to want to go there. She's only just getting used to her new school since we moved, bless.

So my question is: - does anyone know when the grammars (esp Pate's as it our nearest) have Open days - and do we need to register or just show up on the day?

Also - can anyone recommend a tried and tested tutor in the Cheltenham area?

Many thanks for your wisdom

lolomimi
DC17C

Re: Open Days

Post by DC17C »

There are usually open days arranged in July and September. Keep looking at the school websites for information I think Tommie's ( Sir Thomas Rich) is the only school to have information up at the moment but there are details of the test dates etc. The open days I attended last yr were open for anyone to attend.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Most schools will happily let you book an appointment before open days if you want. As you are unfamiliar with the area it may be an idea to do this. And Pates (and indeed many other schools)will definitely inspire!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Welcome to the forum (and area!) I would suggest making an appointment to look round Pates, HSFG and Ribston Hall (if you are happy to travel to Gloucester for schools) and also look round some local comps too. There won't be official open days for quite a while. You could then go back when the open days are on. If she is in Y5 you might want to start her tutoring fairly soon, lots of people get going in January. Sir Thomas Rich do coaching but in large (ish) groups and girls can attend those sessions. Pates is the most difficult to get in to (even for really able children) so look at all the options. If you want to tutor your DD yourself then there is masses of help and resources on this site. Best of luck!
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote: And Pates ...will definitely inspire!
Other opinions are available. :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
stroudydad wrote: And Pates ...will definitely inspire!
Other opinions are available. :D
I think I said others would also inspire.. Personally I found SHS very good. But it's a fair journey from Cheltenham.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I think what Amber meant was that Pates wouldn’t inspire everybody!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My apologies;-)
lolomimi

Post by lolomimi »

Dear All

I've been away for a couple of days - and returned to your kind replies!! Many thanks. I will explore the possibility of arranging a visit to the schools we're considering. And i know only too well that opinions vary! I guess it really does just come down to finding a good enough fit for the child in question ( and then trusting the process, and fate!!)

Will enjoy sharing this ride over the next few months with other GL parents! Bombay sapphire already purchased for medicinal use!!

lolomimi
Amber

Post by Amber »

lolomimi wrote: ( and then trusting the process)
Very brave. It's a bad business.
Bombay sapphire already purchased for medicinal use!!
No idea what this is: alcohol; herb; drugs; some kind of mechanical device or a lucky charm? Either way I hope it works for you. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now