Shaun Fenton leaving Pates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aargh

Re: Shaun Fenton leaving Pates?

Post by aargh »

I don't think you necessarily need a new vision if the current vision is working well.

I am greatly disappointed :( . My DD should be starting in September and we were really impressed with Sean Fenton and his passion and his vision. A school is only ever as good as its current staff and a Head makes a big difference.

I hope there is not a massive change of vision and ethos as that would make DDs choice meaningless and the trek to Cheltenham rather less worthwhile. DD chose Pates based on our visits and what we were told of their methods. If that all changes she might as well have gone to SHS which is a 10 minute walk :(
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:I don't know the man but it was predictable as he has moved schools on a regular basis.

In my experience, internal appointments of a HT are not always a good idea. You need a 'new vision' to keep a good school great.
I am not sure what the rules for appointments at academies are (are there any rules? Probably not) but I don't think you can just 'shoe in' existing members of staff without advertising. Also, because HTs have to be trained as HTs these days, it's not that likely that the existing leadership team would be qualified to be a Head. Again, that might be different for academies. It would be interesting to know. Scour the TES and you will see, I expect. I imagine they will be looking for someone who can try and square the new 2 year linear GCSE rules with the 3 year practice they have adopted at Pate's. Might make for an interesting professional challenge.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What I menat by a 'new vision' was you need fresh ideas or even an outstanding school can slip and stagnate.

You have to advertise nationally for a Headteacher and although you DID need NPQH the rules have been changed. I would think a school like this would want an established Headteacher.
Amber

Post by Amber »

You have to advertise nationally for a Headteacher and although you DID need NPQH the rules have been changed.
Ah of course. How naive of me to think rules might stay the same for a while. This is education, after all. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Ah of course. How naive of me to think rules might stay the same for a while. This is education, after all.
:roll:
oh boy! how true!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

There was talk on the grapevine about a change of head at HSFG too but nothing seems to have been made official.
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

aargh wrote:I don't think you necessarily need a new vision if the current vision is working well.

I am greatly disappointed :( . My DD should be starting in September and we were really impressed with Sean Fenton and his passion and his vision. A school is only ever as good as its current staff and a Head makes a big difference.

I hope there is not a massive change of vision and ethos as that would make DDs choice meaningless and the trek to Cheltenham rather less worthwhile. DD chose Pates based on our visits and what we were told of their methods. If that all changes she might as well have gone to SHS which is a 10 minute walk :(
I have a son in year 7 at Pate's.

I really don't think you should be worried. Mr Fenton is a career headmaster and six - seven years is a usual stint. He was obviously keen to move on. He inherited an extremely good school and will leave a great one. Like ocean liners, schools take a while to change direction, and I don't think we'll see any huge disruption.

Also, I think change is good: whoever comes in will undoubtedly be excellent and bring new skills to the school. As someone else posted, s/he might even get the little blighters to tuck their shirts in ! (More seriously, s/he might give some thought to properly arranging Years 7 Parents' evening, but that's off-topic…)
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

I have been thinking a lot about what it will mean for the school, good to read reassuring posts. Is it likely that they will find someone by September?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Maidstone Grammer school have recently announced that their head teacher is also leaving at the end of the year, so maybe now is the time to make such announcements. We won't know how the new one fits in before choosing a school for ds 2 ( providing he passes).
Red

Post by Red »

Spot on Paternoster. On all counts. 2.5 mins for French in Y7 :shock:

Red