Should our grammars have catchment areas?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

proud mum x2

Re: Should our grammars have catchment areas?

Post by proud mum x2 »

Amber, I could tell by the tone of your post that you know the area around Pates very well, I work nearby too in a primary school and sad though it is, most of the parents have few aspirations for their children. As in every school,we have some bright and keen children,but they're often not encouraged or stimulated to do anything to do with their learning. :twisted:

A lot of them play on their DSi's or Playstations,and watch x rated films on massive screens in their bedrooms,the parents often don't back up the school when questions are asked about h/work or behaviour.

It is obviously not the children's fault it is just unfortunately their lot in life. :(
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes proud mum...and actually I don't live all that far away either. My post was made in sympathy and exasperation rather than in judgment.

I recognise what you are saying but it isn't only children in these types of schools (I work in another one now, just out of special measures ) where children are playing on and watching unsuitable material. My DD is at an inde and one of my sons at GS and some eye watering things go on, not all of them 'virtual'. No simple solutions, sadly. :(
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Have to agree with Lynne wholeheartedly.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Well the way I understand it, academies can pretty much do what they like. Who knows, maybe they could use that list of 'teachers' most hated names' to draw up a list of those they would like in. Criterion 1. Children named Rebecca, Charlotte, Alexander or William.
Indeed, they could. However, all the schools have to put up their admissions proceedure for consultation, and I'm sure that all existing and potential parents participate in the consultation. I certainly did for SHS's and sent several pages of comments in (one or two things needed tidying up) - SHS has not made any major changes but merely brought it into line with the new Code.

As to Catchment Areas - where would they be? Would there be a line between the local grammars to stop one poaching anothers pupils? Would it be done by distance, population size, District or County council boundaries? It would be a nightmare!
Capers
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

But without grammar schools, you'd have selection by postcode and house prices wouldn't you?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

stroudydad wrote:Have to agree with Lynne wholeheartedly.
Actually I have been on this site some time and partaken in enough debates on the merits(not) of the Glos Grammar system to know that Amber's comment was NOT snobbery. It is always best to make sure you know a poster well before jumping to conclusions about the meaning of one possibly ambiguous post.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Tolstoy wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Have to agree with Lynne wholeheartedly.
Actually I have been on this site some time and partaken in enough debates on the merits(not) of the Glos Grammar system to know that Amber's comment was NOT snobbery. It is always best to make sure you know a poster well before jumping to conclusions about the meaning of one possibly ambiguous post.
Well Tolstoy I do agree with lynne's comments. And frankly it matters not to me if you know Amber better than me.. I still agree.
rollonmarch

Post by rollonmarch »

Well Tolstoy I do agree with lynne's comments. And frankly it matters not to me if you know Amber better than me.. I still agree.

Stroudydad - out of interest, why do you agree with lynne's comments?

Amber makes a valid point, if a slightly sweeping generalisation. As does lynne.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Possibly Stroudydad was agreeing with the additional comments and not the snobbish bit and I am just having a bad day. :( :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my remark was tongue in cheek. It is well known that I am an ex Pates girl
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now