All boys/girls schools - your thoughts please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Clark

Re: All boys/girls schools - your thoughts please

Post by Rob Clark »

Only just caught up with this thread, but would like to second all those who have said it depends on the child.

DS goes to an all-boys school and DD to a mixed. This is contrary to what most of the research shows to be best academically, but it suits their personalities and temperaments, which is more important imo.

They are Years 11 and 9 now but if we had our time again, we would make the same decision, without question.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:DS goes to an all-boys school and DD to a mixed. This is contrary to what most of the research shows to be best academicallly.
Are you sure about that? I think the evidence is at best mixed and a worst entirely contradictory wrt academic attainment. Evidence about social issues might be a bit more solid but would if anything favour your choice to educate Miss Clark in a mixed environment.

As you say, go with the child, though in most places there is little or no choice anyway. Certainly most countries in the developed world did away with single sex education years ago, except in specific, usually religious cases, and many areas of the UK don't have any state funded single s e x schools either, particularly outside the grammar system.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I remember from my uni days that those who came from all-girls ( indie) schools went a bit boy mad at first.

My eldest suits an all-boys school. I do worry though that he is in an all ale environment. Ie. brother, football team, male tennis class, male local friends etc.

Ds2, however, has always invited girls to his party, despite finding them 'irritating'. He would definitely suit a mixed school.

The grammars in this area are all single sex, so we don't have a choice.
Ellipse

Post by Ellipse »

Hi,
For the 2014 entry, does anyone know the month the month of the first Henrietta Barnet test?
Thanks
Amber

Post by Amber »

Might be worth posting your question somewhere else Ellipse... If the school is an independent try that section, otherwise perhaps try the geographical area where the school is.