Ysezmo - GS application

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ysezmo

Ysezmo - GS application

Post by ysezmo »

Wow! What a fantastic letter... although I am after advice on a different type of letter.
I am trying to move my daughter to a selective grammar and need to fill out their app. form.. I need help with the wording of why she wants to go there. Reasons being.. like minded people with the right attitude (who want to learn, not mess about in lessons) Teachers have no control over pupils.. lack of respect for adults and each other, I could go on but stresses me out just thinking about it all :evil:
She missed out 2 years ago by a few marks and we didn't appeal as she wanted to go to the local comp.. Unfortuantely, this was the wrong decision and is unhappy and not achieving as expected :(
Any advice would be GREATLY received!
hermanmunster

Re: Letter of appeal for Mary

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Ysezmo

Might be better if I move this to a separate thread - which LEA are you in? as that would probably be the best place. Also has she taken any tests yet for the school?

edit: just looked at your old posts and realised it should be Gloucestershire - I'll start a thread there
capers123

Re: Ysezmo - GS application

Post by capers123 »

ysezmo wrote: I am trying to move my daughter to a selective grammar and need to fill out their app. form.. I need help with the wording of why she wants to go there. Reasons being.. like minded people with the right attitude (who want to learn, not mess about in lessons) Teachers have no control over pupils.. lack of respect for adults and each other, I could go on but stresses me out just thinking about it all :evil:
She missed out 2 years ago by a few marks and we didn't appeal as she wanted to go to the local comp.. Unfortuantely, this was the wrong decision and is unhappy and not achieving as expected :(
Hi,

Firstly, can I check what you mean by 'app. form' - Application or Appeal?

If the latter, then the standard advice is to stick to why the school you're appealing to is the best/only place for your daughter, and not what the other school is the worst place for her - otherwise the panel might agree that it's the worst place, but not see why this school is the right one!

Be warned - children in grammars can be just as stroppy & disruptive and mess around in lessons - but in more interesting ways. I have a memory of a student music teacher who we put through **** quite deliberately, as she was off to a comp after our school, so that she felt that her new school was no worse than us. What really surprised us was that she ended up applying for a job with us once qualified - after which we were lovely to her (and explained our behaviour). I also know of an RE teacher who ended up having a nervous breakdown because every class that he taught kept asking very awkward questions & arguing with him...
Capers