fee for tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum23*

fee for tutoring

Post by mum23* »

Hi
Out of interest, would anyone mind letting me know what the typical charge for an hour's tutoring is in the Gloucester/Cheltenham area. Thanks. (I know there is a tutors thread but I wanted some local info only)
gloucestermum

Re: fee for tutoring

Post by gloucestermum »

We paid £16 an hour but DS is now in year 10 so was a few years ago.....

GM
Okmum!

Post by Okmum! »

We paid £20 last year and I believe the tutor has maintained that price.
X
trampoline

Post by trampoline »

Presently being tutored at £25.
Orson

Post by Orson »

£25 an hour is the norm for a decent tutor. If you're taking your child to them you shouldn't pay more.

If a tutor is coming to you then expect to pay a little more to cover travelling expenses.

If your child is one of two don't pay more than £20.

Don't use a tutor who wants to see more than two children together. You won't get value for money and your child deserves better.
aargh

Post by aargh »

We paid £20 for an hour last year for individual lessons.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is about what I expected. I know it worked out at £15 per hour for the Tommies tutor sessions and that was in a class of around 15-20 children. Apart from familiarising DS with the school and some vocab words to learn I am not sure it was worth it compared to one to one.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

mum23* wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. It is about what I expected. I know it worked out at £15 per hour for the Tommies tutor sessions and that was in a class of around 15-20 children. Apart from familiarising DS with the school and some vocab words to learn I am not sure it was worth it compared to one to one.
My DD did the Tommies classes for 6 weeks last yr but I though much the same. She got a lot more from a summer term of 1 to 1 lessons.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DS went to the Tommies sessions twice and hated it. He said they just sat at a computer and once he had the login (I never got to the bottom of whether he had obtained this by fair means or foul) he could look at the website at home. It was a commercial one and not much use as far as I could tell. We didn't bother with the other sessions, as the idea was to help rather than stress him out more, and we decided it was counterproductive.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

DS did a short block (I think of 6 sessions) before the summer holidays last year. They seemed to go through a paper quite slowly and have 20 words to learn and be tested on the spelling and definition each week. He didn't mind going as he went with 2 friends and they got to play on the nearby park beforehand or afterwards! The problem I saw was that all the children in the class seemed to be at varying stages of preparation from complete beginners to having had several months DIY or with a tutor so it couldn't really meet individual needs. I don't think he used a computer though. Some people had booked several of these blocks but we didn't bother booking another. The only thing I felt was useful was him seeing the school and finding out where the loos were before the test day! Although I am still annoyed that Tommies let boys traipse in and out to said loos during the actual test - my DS said all the door banging and going in and out put him off!! Anyway..I digress. Cheers for the info.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now