Past papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
littlebaker

Past papers

Post by littlebaker »

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of actual past papers. I realise that you can get IPS VR, Tutors VR etc etc but I wondered if you could actually get real past papers? I tried to search on here for previous requests but difficult to search for 'past paper' as it's too vague. Many thanks if anyone has any information.
DC17C

Re: Past papers

Post by DC17C »

Actual past papers are not available.
The test in Glos is run by GL assessment so you can get GL assessment VR papers sets 1 &2
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Thank you. So am I right in thinking if I got the GL papers they would be identical (ie. no. of questions/layout/standard etc). If this is the case are we advised to practice with the others just for variety or is there another reason?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I think the idea is to use IPS and others for further practice but the layout of paper and answer sheet is like the GL papers. I think set 2 is harder than set 1 and has different question types included so you need both sets for the full 21 types. There are also some question examples on the Pates GS website you can download.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

That's brilliant thank you.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Past papers are closely guarded, as they are used again a few years later (which is why children are not allowed to write on the question papers but have rough paper instead). Therefore, getting hold of a past paper would put you at a distinct advantage.

Although... as I understand it, this year there were brand new papers used. The first paper (shorter) turned out to be the more difficult, which probably freaked some children who had heard the playground rumours (or told by their tutor) that the second was always the harder. However, all children sat the same papers in the same order, so there was nothing unfair about that.
Capers
Orson

Post by Orson »

'...heard playground rumours or were told by their tutor'?!
GL Assessment, in their pre-test bumf, inform the children that there are two VR tests and the second one is 'of a more searching nature'.
No rumour, no hearsay, no tutor scaremongering.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Orson wrote:'...heard playground rumours or were told by their tutor'?!
GL Assessment, in their pre-test bumf, inform the children that there are two VR tests and the second one is 'of a more searching nature'.
No rumour, no hearsay, no tutor scaremongering.
The odd thing is that last year (Sept 2011 intake), I heard quite a few children (my own daughter included) saying (complaining, in her case) that the first paper was harder. That was before they 'changed' the papers. I'd also heard the same in previous years in the playground. I think it shows that children favour one or other of the papers.

Should add that I haven't seen this years pre-test bumf, and probably didn't pay much attention to it last year, either.
Capers