Grammar help (literally!)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
totally_gutted

Grammar help (literally!)

Post by totally_gutted »

Opinions - and preferably a definitive answer - needed urgently!

Just been finalising what I intend to say at our appeal hearing and gave my speech to my DD to sanity check, and she has queried the following sentence

" We would not be following this path if we had the slightest doubt that (DS) would cope with the level of work at this school"

She thinks that I should actually be saying "would not cope" and has now got me doubting myself!! Both now sound right! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh

Help please, all you lovely people - you could make the difference between me getting it right and sounding like a total cabbage in front of the panel.

TG
relievedit'sallover

Re: Grammar help (literally!)

Post by relievedit'sallover »

I think your DD is correct, it sounds wrong to me with just "would"but don't take my opinion on it, I think it should say "would not" but I can't explain clearly why, sorry!
Let's see what everyone else thinks; I know exactly what you mean, reading and re-reading it just gets so confusing. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ask yourself what you don't have the slightest doubt about.

That she would cope?
That she would not cope?

IMHO you are right.

To make her correct you would need to substitute the word 'suspicion' for 'doubt'.

You could just say 'we have no doubt that she would cope'; but look, the panel will know what you mean, you are hardly going to stand there and tell them you have doubts about her ability to cope. :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

OP, it is correct as it is. Sorry, in haste…
capers123

Post by capers123 »

totally_gutted wrote:Help please, all you lovely people - you could make the difference between me getting it right and sounding like a total cabbage in front of the panel.
It might brighten the panels day - they (and the presenting officer) are likely to laugh with you, certainly not at you. We also fluff our lines at times. Don't forget folks, we're not judging the parents or their ability to spell, make presentations or put together nice documents. It's all about your child and the school.
Last edited by capers123 on Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capers
doodles

Post by doodles »

totally_gutted wrote:" We would not be following this path if we had the slightest doubt that (DS) would cope with the level of work at this school"

For what it's worth, how about:

We would not be following this path if we had the slightest doubt in DS's ability to cope with the level of work at this school.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I don't wish to pour cold water, but this is the sort of statement that every parent makes at an appeal hearing. I am afraid that "parental assertions" carry very little weight.

It can have some validity if there are already older siblings at the school, for example: "We understand the high standard of output that will be demanded because his older siblings attend the school already", i.e. we are being realistic.

Otherwise you would do better to fall back on a statement from the professionals, if you have an appropriate one: "The Head has no doubt about his ability to cope with the academic standards required for success at the school, as you will see from his letter of support."

Sally-Anne
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
I have gone with Doodles' amendment so will have to come up with some other means of entertaining the panel (including Capers? Who knows, Capers is the Scarlet Pimpernel of Glos appeals)

Sally-Anne, thank you for your input also. The aforementioned DD is also a pupil at the school but I had not thought of using this particular slant, however will definitely try to include. Fortunately, we also have some strong supporting evidence as you suggest, albeit not from our primary head who is following the Glos "no support" ruling.

Thinking positive vibes.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

totally_gutted wrote:(including Capers? Who knows, Capers is the Scarlet Pimpernel of Glos appeals)
Ha... The Damned Elusive Capers :D

Even I don't see myself at appeals, unless I stumble into a mirror. Most of the time I just hide behind my voluminous cloak. Of course, all panel members in Gloucestershire will deny being, or even knowing, Capers. I may well be a mythical figure. :shock:

I do wish all parents appealing the absolute best of luck, and that they have as good an appeal as possible. Try and relax - panel members don't bite (or at least, bite hard).
Capers
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

The red wine is helping with the relaxation.
And as the locals say , Capers you makes I larf.
Well I think that's what they are saying but not from round these parts so can't be sure.........

I am sure it will be ok and at the end of the day its a school. It's not the end of the world and nobody will die if we don't win.