IN YEAR GRAMMAR ENTRY TEST (TO GAIN A PLACE FOR YEAR 8)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Honeybee29

IN YEAR GRAMMAR ENTRY TEST (TO GAIN A PLACE FOR YEAR 8)

Post by Honeybee29 »

Hi

Can anyone give me any info re in year grammar tests? Would really like to give my daughter a chance to gain a grammar school place.

Many thanks
capers123

Re: IN YEAR GRAMMAR ENTRY TEST (TO GAIN A PLACE FOR YEAR 8)

Post by capers123 »

These tend to be run by each school, and may well differ in format from school to school. It's not like the 11+ where the child takes the test at one school and the results are shared (if you request that). However, that could also give you an advantage - you could try for one school and if unsuccessful, try for another.

Most the schools are likely to be over-subscribed, although the current Y7 at Ribston is under-subscribed. If it's oversubbed, then as well as passing, you will then have to appeal for a place. For current Y7 at Ribston, she'd only have to pass.

Speak to the admissions officer at the school your daughter most wants a place at, and take it from there.
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

capers123 wrote:These tend to be run by each school, and may well differ in format from school to school. It's not like the 11+ where the child takes the test at one school and the results are shared (if you request that). However, that could also give you an advantage - you could try for one school and if unsuccessful, try for another.

Most the schools are likely to be over-subscribed, although the current Y7 at Ribston is under-subscribed. If it's oversubbed, then as well as passing, you will then have to appeal for a place. For current Y7 at Ribston, she'd only have to pass.

Speak to the admissions officer at the school your daughter most wants a place at, and take it from there.
I understand that there are about 60 appeals for Ribston but wondering how it is undersubscribed - is it just that they only took the 210+ and everyone else appeals. Also, were you to not pass the test for year 7, can you just wait until year 8 and try it again for the same or another school?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:I understand that there are about 60 appeals for Ribston but wondering how it is undersubscribed - is it just that they only took the 210+ and everyone else appeals.
Last year - Sept 2011 entry - the current Y7, Ribston were undersubscribed. They were very undersubscribed before the appeals, and less so after the appeals, but they still had some unfilled places.

Not all the appeals last year were successful, and I suspect that if the new appeals code had been in place then, even less would have been successful - there is now emphasis that the panel must be convinced (by the evidence presented) that the child is of a suitable academic ability for a grammar; mitigating circumstances carry less weight.

All the grammars can only offer a place if a child has passed the test, which in Ribstons case is 210. If a child has a score below that, then they would only get a place though a successful appeal.

This year, for the Sept 2012 entry (current Y6), I think Ribston was full before the appeals, so the appeals allowed would have to have been very strong to outweigh prejudice against the school.
Also, were you to not pass the test for year 7, can you just wait until year 8 and try it again for the same or another school?
Check the schools admissions policy. They may well allow a child to try again in a subsequent year, but the test may well be different (maybe papers in Maths & English, MFL or Science?). Even if the child passes, there would still have to be an appeal for a place if the school is over PAN (which most are), though if several children had moved away from the school and they were undersubscribed, then they would get a place without an appeal.
Capers
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have personal experience of doing this and also know someone who did it for Ribston. If you want details please pm me. I am having some broadband difficulties atm owing to a large piece of digging equipment having gone through my 'phone line, but will try to reply. :)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

capers123 wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:I understand that there are about 60 appeals for Ribston but wondering how it is undersubscribed - is it just that they only took the 210+ and everyone else appeals.
Last year - Sept 2011 entry - the current Y7, Ribston were undersubscribed. They were very undersubscribed before the appeals, and less so after the appeals, but they still had some unfilled places.

Not all the appeals last year were successful, and I suspect that if the new appeals code had been in place then, even less would have been successful - there is now emphasis that the panel must be convinced (by the evidence presented) that the child is of a suitable academic ability for a grammar; mitigating circumstances carry less weight.

All the grammars can only offer a place if a child has passed the test, which in Ribstons case is 210. If a child has a score below that, then they would only get a place though a successful appeal.

This year, for the Sept 2012 entry (current Y6), I think Ribston was full before the appeals, so the appeals allowed would have to have been very strong to outweigh prejudice against the school.
Also, were you to not pass the test for year 7, can you just wait until year 8 and try it again for the same or another school?
Check the schools admissions policy. They may well allow a child to try again in a subsequent year, but the test may well be different (maybe papers in Maths & English, MFL or Science?). Even if the child passes, there would still have to be an appeal for a place if the school is over PAN (which most are), though if several children had moved away from the school and they were undersubscribed, then they would get a place without an appeal.
Ah right, thanks for that.
Honeybee29

Post by Honeybee29 »

Capers - thanks for the info, I've contacted the school and am waiting for a form. Assuming she's offered to sit the tests, is there are preparation she can do beforehand?

Amber - I've sent you a pm.

Thanks
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Honeybee29 wrote:Capers - thanks for the info, I've contacted the school and am waiting for a form. Assuming she's offered to sit the tests, is there are preparation she can do beforehand?
I'm afraid I have no idea, as I don't know what tests they do, or what prep is possible.

You need advice from someone who knows the preparation system (who will probably drop by soon).

If the exams are just curriculum based, having learnt the curriculum will help :)
Capers
Orson

Post by Orson »

I know of girls who have been through this.
The tests were verbal reasoning.
None of them had sat the actual tests during the autumn of year 6.
They all received some 'last minute' coaching and all gained places.
The amount of time they had to wait to be 'accommodated' varied.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Orson wrote:I know of girls who have been through this.
The tests were verbal reasoning.
None of them had sat the actual tests during the autumn of year 6.
They all received some 'last minute' coaching and all gained places.
The amount of time they had to wait to be 'accommodated' varied.
That is interesting Orson. I know of girls who got places at all three girls' grammars. All had taken and not been successful in the Year 6 tests and none had to take a verbal reasoning test! One had to submit a report from the currentt school and two took tests in curriculum subjects. How strange. :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now