Getting from Cheltenham to SHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
livviloo

Getting from Cheltenham to SHS

Post by livviloo »

My DD is in year 5 and we live in Cheltenham. We looked at DR and my daughter was not bowled over. Our comp is very good. Today I went to the Stroud high open day and I was really impressed. So now it's going on our form.

My question is; how to get there?

Does anyone know of any girls who commute from Cheltenham ?

We live near the A46 bus route. Is there a bus that gets there on time ? I'm not keen on her sitting on a public bus on her own.

How long is the walk from school to merry walks ? Ie what sort of time might she get there and be able to catch a bus?

I realise she may not even pass or she may be do really well and then we would chose our local grammar.
neveragain*

Re: Getting from Cheltenham to SHS

Post by neveragain* »

Hi ll

My eldest DD is at shs in the sixth form now, but has been there from year 7. There are a fair few girls from cheltenham in her year and more and more as you go down the years....

The walk form merry walks is very social able - all the town kids, train kids and bus kids walk together - it is like a mass exodus from town! They seem to enjoy the ten minute walk and wait for one another once they make friends to walk together. It feels very safe.

What is your local school?

As with any school there have been ups and downs (mainly girl stuff) but the pastoral care fantastic and the staff in the main great. My DD is a house leader and has been able to really influence things in the pastoral care system since being elected in sixth form. She had had fantastic opportunities and been supported hugely by staff. Behaviour almost always good.....learning and teaching seems on track and interesting in the main.

We have been pleased with it. Stroud feels a safe town to be in after school and the walk gives a little safe independence.

Feel free to pm with any questions x
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

Thank you for your reply. I am just getting myself sorted for round 2 with DD. DS in year 7. Our comp is bournside, which were happy with for DS had he not got a grammar place. He at Pates and very happy there ( and we too ) but I want to look at all options for her. She's a very different child( aren't they all?)
LL
Okmum!

Post by Okmum! »

Hi

My daughter starts DR in September and along with some of her friends was not bowled over on the first visit so we went again once the results came out.

She really liked DR the second time visit and it is logistically, and will be as she socializes more as she gets older, much easier.

Her and I both also liked SHS.

Regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now