Is it just me?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neveragain*

Is it just me?

Post by neveragain* »

Or is anyone else feeling a bit nervous about BIG school now? This is my youngest, but I still feel anxious - will he make friends? Will the homework be too much? Have I bought football boots instead of rugby boots?! After all the stress of getting them in to GS, all I now want is to be a month down the line, and see him happy and settled with friends there! Am I alone in my butterflies?
Dixon

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Dixon »

There are lots of us that would love to be in your position this time next year. Surely your stress comes no where near those approaching the test?
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Indeed Dixon, .....I'm not stressed so much as just be glad once it's over....and of course it's different (and maybe less, although im not sure that emotions fit into being measured in such a way)!from the eleven plus stress........but having had a DD NOT happy
at her secondary school ( a well considered GS) and having experienced such severe bullying that the police have been involved, I think maybe I have reason for a little low level anxiety..........I think whether your DC is starting any school, GS or not, it is a big transition and youngest really feels like a huge step for all the family. No little ones Any more......end of having young children or even feeling like young parents.........it's so much more than about starting school I guess. As indeed in the test, it's all about getting them into the right environment for learning, with all that that entails.......
My DS a very different kettle of fish, so I'm sure all will be well, was simply sharing a moment of concern, and have heard similar from lots of friends......
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

I'm sure within a week you will be hearing about new friends, lessons and experiences. It sounds like time has been taken to ensure your DC is going to the right school for them. That all said, it's a parents job to worry!
My DS is now all prepared as best he can for the test. There's no more that can be done and we just want it all over with. He's put the effort and time in preperation and so wants to join friends at the local GS. The quest for a GS place has certainly been child rather than parent led. I'm not complaining though and have encouraged and assisted in his wish! :wink:
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Good luck to your DC Dixon, I do remember this run up and the results day.... I'm here if you ever need a shoulder (unknown shoulder) to listen or contain your anxiety! It will soon be over, and your DS sounds more than prepared......it's such an awful system as we all know......will be thinking of you xx
sem

Post by sem »

Hi neveragain* I know exactly how you are feeling and share your nerves.......right down to the Rugby boots!!
My DS is my youngest too, I've been through this four times before and it never gets any easier :?
I'll feel more relaxed when he has been on the bus a couple of times and got into a routine, although I have decided to take and pick up for the first week.....more for my peace of mind than his!
Off to finish sewing name tapes :lol:
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

It can be rather daunting to see your youngest off to secondary school esp when elder siblings have had a rough ride. I certainly felt the pain on last day at primary in feeling it was the end of an era.

There is a degree of what I call 'elbows out' with some students at grammar (as I am sure there are at all schools). I had previously assumed this was due to uber confident over indulged kids who felt it was their right to have a grammar place. However, having spoken to a mum of 'elbows out' DC, I discovered their child felt they had had a terrible first year with feeling an underconfident outsider!!!

Kids all react in different ways and I have learned to be less judgemental esp in the first year. You tend to find things settle more in the subsequent years when they all mature a little and get used to each others idiosyncrasies. That said I am sure some kids cruise through y7 making friends and having laughs while excelling at everything put in front of them :lol: They will be few and far between. Don't expect too much of your little ones, it is a big transition and so just support them as best you can. I learned not to fight every battle for them, I picked and chose which were really important (meanwhile worrying and biting my nails to the quick!). I tried to support yet allow them to find their own way in their new environment. It can be a rollercoaster at times but one which can be managed and ultimately enjoyed :D
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Thank you all! Good to know I'm not alone! That is the fabulousness (!) of this forum! Not driving my DH mad with all my school based drivel!
fruitcake

Post by fruitcake »

I don't think that you're alone in thinking/feeling this way. As my eldest DS just about to start GS next week, I certainly feel unsettled and want the stability of a routine in place as soon as possible. Fingers crossed they come back home from their first day looking forward to going in the following! It's all unchartered territory for us and thankfully we've had this forum which we'll no doubt continue to use!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now